I will try and explain this in sections.
First Section is to create a rss
database. For this I will use CNN.
1) Open Setup (F2)
2) Goto "Databases"
3) Next to "DB Name:", add the name of the RSS
database you want to create. For this, I will just use CNN top stories, and I will call it cnntopstories.
4) Under that add the RSS
website to "URL(RSS
feeds):" for example sake I've already been to CNN.com com and their top stories RSS
feed is http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss
5) Click on the "Create RSS
DB" button. Down at the bottom should then say "RSS
6) If you scroll through the list of databases in the "Database" window, you should now see the CNN database. Highlight it.
7) Click on the "Edit" button, this should open up the Database editor.
8 ) Select one of the entries under the "Items" window, and make sure is says "description" under the "Remove Field" button. Remember that as we will have to use the word "description" later.
9) Close the DB editor
10) Close Setup
Now the next Section will be to display the RSS
database on the screen.
1) Open the skin editor (Pause/Break)
2) Click on the "Screen" tab
3) Click on the "Add" tab
4) Under "Category", add the name of the new category to create. For this I'm going to call it cnntopstories
5) Click on the "Add" button next to the Category your wishing to add.
6) Now in screen that your creating the category in, should now have a green dotted rectangle. Go anywhere within the rectange and click it. It should turn to a white dotted rectangle to indicate that you are able to edit it.
7) Click on the "Item" tab
8 ) Click on the "Category" tab
9) Now if you do indeed have control of the rectangle, you should be able to click on the "General" tab, and it should say cnntopstories next to "Name" and should be editable (not greyed out)
10) Click on the "Database" tab
11) Scoll through the list to find your cnn database you created (cnntopstories), and select it. Now you should be seeing a bunch of entries within the category window in the screen.
12) Now you can move/resize to your liking (under Item/Default), as well as change the general view of the Category displayed (Item/Category/General, /Display, /Layout, /Scroll)
Now to show the description of the entries within the category when each one is selected.
1) With the skin editor still open from the steps above, click on the "Screen" tab
2) Under "Text" in the window, add the line category>cnntopstories>description <--hey, where did I get that from?
3) Click on the "Add" button next to the text window.
4) There should now be a small white dotted rectangle in the top corner of the screen. Select it and move/resize to your liking (Item/Default)
5) Close the skin editor
6) Now clicking on any of the database entries should display the body of news in the description window.
Hope this helps, and have fun....and I already know what your next question is going to be...but I'll wait for you to ask it as it is enough typing for now.
I looked for RSS
feeds on the BBC website, but I couldn't find where to get them from...if you know, then basically replace my CNN feed site (and titles and the sort) with the BBC ones you find.