WACI IP Based Controller

Web Access Control Interface (Home Automation)

WACI IP Based Controller

Postby wesblack on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:13 am

The WACI IP Based Controller is a incredible control system that sits on your network and is accessable from any Media PC, Laptop, Web Tablet, PDA running windows or Linux, it was created by Aurora Multimedia. Calrad is an authorized WACI reseller and has been using the product for over 2.5 years now, it's very reliable and we love what it can do Paul Harris and Andy Fliss have been great in helping us develop applications around the WACI. It has so many possibilites, you can communicate with it in over 6 programming languages. Beleive me with this device and the next version of Xlobby we will be able to do everything Crestron, AMX or Control 4 can and more. Make sure to dowload the PDF files for more details. Here are just a few details. 4 discrete IR ports with a learning window right on the fron of the unit, 2 -RS232 ports, DPDT - Dry relay outputs. 4 DSP-I\O ports analog or digital. There are several models available. The WACI-NX Jr, WACI-NX +, WACI Pod available this year.

Here are some links to pdf files you can download.

Part Numbers: 40-WACI IP Based Controller.
Link: http://www.calrad.com/download/40-waci.pdf

Basic Specifications.
Link: http://www.calrad.com/download/WACINXPLUS.pdf

WACI Manual.
Link: http://www.calrad.com/download/wacinxmanual.pdf

Wes Black \ Calrad
Last edited by wesblack on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wesblack

Postby jowaldo on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm

now that looks interesting!
Check out Jowaldo's Skin
jowaldo

Postby Colby on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:52 pm

Where do I go to the "lay man's" terms of what this doohicky can do for me?
"Get creative or go home!"
Colby

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:49 pm

Now there's your first problem, using those highly technical terms like "doohicky!" :wink:
Cicero ... loving xLobby, both versions ... now just to get all the new toys ...
cmhardwick

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 am

Where do I go to the "lay man's" terms of what this doohicky can do for me?

Well Colby, without looking at the instructions, and just at the faceplate, Xlobby could use this module for a good chunk of its automation. Xlobby will communicate to this module via LAN most likely, though it does have the USB and serial ports as well. You have the 4 IR emitters for controlling the different devices in the audio/video rack, or around the house. You have a bunch of relays for controlling lights, projector/screen, curtains, or anything else that requires simple relay control.

The only thing I'm not too sure about are the 4 DSP ports.

In the end, it would be pretty slick...but it's not affordable to me :cry: .

*UPDATE*
I stand corrected, the serial ports are most likely used to communicate to other RS232 devices.
Mayhem Creations
where my:
    -Music Distribution
    -HTPC
    -MediaPVR
    -UnRAID box
    -OTA
are all discussed.

Xlobby Free Zone
Marbles_00

Postby wesblack on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:00 am

Let me explain the DSP ports like this. They can do some cool things, for example. All the ports are fully bi-directional, Analog as well as Digital. Beleive me once you understand the full potential of this unit there is virtually nothing it can't do.

Example 1. (Video Sensing) Using any of the 4 ports. Setting the ports to read Analog voltages to detect Video. Calrad has a small interface cable that connects to a video source and then device connected to the DSP port. The DSP port can be set to read 0-5Vdc and is setup to read the 1Vpp signal of the video source which can be converted in to a value which can be parsed via software to read a true or false value. This value can can be used to indicate that video is present, providing conformation of product status or to monitor if a video feed goes down on a CCTV system, Video Distribution Amplifier or Video Switcher, etc. Any voltage value from 0-5vdc can be read, even Audio. The WACI has a built-in event manager that can trigger multiple command's like send someone a E-Mail based when the video is present or not present or send a IR code out to turn on off a equipment rack.

Example 2. (Security, Automation) Using any of the 4 ports. Setting the ports to read Digital signals. Connect either N\O or N\C security contacts or motion detectors to one or all ports. With these switches or motion detectors connected they can cause the WACI to monitor doors, rooms etc. for security purposes. A small security system can be built around these 4 ports, Instant, delay circuits. Entry, exit timing delays are possible, remember the WACI has a real time clock built-in. It's not difficult to create a Software based security interface keypad accessable from a Touch Screen that acts like a real alarm system. The Relay ports can connect 12Vdc to a siren which can be programed to activate if any of the 4 DSP ports are triggered. Remember the WACI can send E-Mails on any triggered events to your work PC, Cell Phone, etc.. Use the ports to monitor Equipment Rooms, Pool Area's for Kid's, just think about it the possiblities are endless.

Example 3. (DSP Ports as Relays) The 4 DSP ports can drive external relays making it possible to have 4 additional relay's to the already 4 built-in relays now this makes 8 relays. These relays can now be used for sprinkler control systems or mororized plama lifts, motorized curtains, Garage door control.

One more really cool feature is the WACI has a built-in temperature sensor in celsius or fahrenheit with values that can be parsed. We use this feature a lot to a monitor the temperature of the equipment rooms or racks, etc. If A value say fets to 120F then the WACI can be selected to trigger a predefined event or any other event stored in the WACI event manager, send a IR code to shut all the equipment down if it gets to hot or send a E-Mail to someone, turn on cooling fans or whatever you want.

As far as affordability compared to the WACI NX and WACI NX+, the WACI-POD will be out in the 3rd, 4th quarter of this year and it will be fairly inexpensive and has 1 RS232 port, 2 IR ports, Relay, DSP ports, so look for information to be posted here soon.

I will post more solutions for those who are interested. We have done some interesting things with the WACI. I hope to have pictures and examples posted soon.

Wes
wesblack

Postby Wayne123 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 pm

I have a Global Cache GC-100 -12 that does some of what this WACI device does, will you try and support devices like this in X-lobby also?

I have seen lots of video sensing devices and they seem to be designed for composite video sources, will you have anything that can detect video over other connections? I have very few devices that are not connected over HDMI or DVI now.
Wayne123

Postby wesblack on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:01 pm

The Clobal Cache is a nice piece, in fact some of the people left Global Cache and started Aurora Multimedia. Yes we can do this with HDMI or DVI, it has 5Vdc that is available when a device turns on.

Wes Black \ Calrad
Last edited by wesblack on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesblack

Postby Wayne123 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks, sounds good.
Wayne123

Postby wesblack on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:36 am

Here is a sample interface we wrote a while ago that talks to the WACI NX+ controller and send's out IR via ports 1-4. It is controlling a Pioneer Stereo Receiver. More sample interfaces will follow. IP based Mpeg 4 Video, Audio can be shown in the window. On several other customers interfaces we have taken the Video output of the receiver so the menu items of the receiver show up on the interface.

Pioneer Receiver Interface

Calrad Touch Screen GE Alarm Keypad interface via RS232, RS232 WACI controlled

More Interface screens will follow soon.

Wes Black \ Calrad
Last edited by wesblack on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wesblack

Postby lpg on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:08 pm

[quote="Marbles_00In the end, it would be pretty slick...but it's not affordable to me :cry: .[/quote]

That is an expensive device. If you already have a Home Automation Controller this would be very expensive to control your audio system. It will be interesting to see where xlobby goes with it's interface to see if plugins like the elk plugin survive.

Definitely for high end installs.

Larry
lpg

WACI now integrated into xLobby

Postby wesblack on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:08 am

WACI is now integrated into xLobby. The current xLobby pre-release, Build: 2.0.7291.1 includes the WACI integration control events and sample control menu's. Control multiple IR ports, RS232, Dry relay contacts, DIO ports with analog or digital control.

WACI (Web Access Controlled Interface) control any electronic product over your network.

The new WACI POD is now available from Calrad and is shipping with xLobby hardware, more details available soon. Serveral different models of WACI are available in order to scale up or down in features required for controllability.

waciscreenshot.jpg

waci_pod_front15s.jpg
waci_pod_front15s.jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 5899 times

waci_pod_back15s.jpg
waci_pod_back15s.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 5894 times

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Return to WACI Controller