Need some advice on a cell phone upgrade

Speak your mind

Need some advice on a cell phone upgrade

Postby rembetis on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Hey guys (and gals?),

I'm a real Luddite when it comes to cell phones -- have been using the same POS Nokia for six years -- and I'm thinking about upgrading but I'd like to get the most out of whatever I buy. At this point, I can't justify an iPhone and won't be paying for any fancy data package, but I'd love to find something that would work as simple cell phone when I'm outside the house, but also work like a PPC when I'm at home, on my own wireless network.

Ideally, the phone would also work with both the HAVA Titanium streaming box I just bought and as an Xlobby remote.

Does such a creature exist? Can you get a Windows Mobile device and use it as a simple cell phone through your provider, but as a mini computer at home?

p.s. I'm on t-mobile at the moment but might be willing to switch if necessary.
rembetis

Re: Need some advice on a cell phone upgrade

Postby capecodscot on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:29 pm

I use a Samsung Omnia which does exactly as you require. You basically need any phone that runs Windows Mobile. I also have my system at home set up as a server which I can then listen to from the phone on-line. Tons of possibilities.

Hope that helps.
capecodscot

Postby rembetis on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:25 pm

capecodscot wrote:I use a Samsung Omnia which does exactly as you require. You basically need any phone that runs Windows Mobile. I also have my system at home set up as a server which I can then listen to from the phone on-line. Tons of possibilities.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback. The Omnia looks like a nice piece of gear but I guess there's no way around a multi-hundred-dollar price tag? I thought I had played the waiting game long enough for prices to drop on portable devices with wifi, but I guess not.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Scored a HTC Hermes/Tytn for a good price. Let the fun begin!
rembetis

Postby vaporhat on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:35 pm

I am using the HTC - Fuze.

Remote desktop, bluetooth 2.0 (can be used for a mouse), WiFi, USB/Bluetooth tethering, GPS, Windows Mobile...
vaporhat