Can't get XMoveWindow to work with iGuidance

Speak your mind

Can't get XMoveWindow to work with iGuidance

Postby rembetis on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Well, I've made the decision to leap (read: fall head first) into the world of carpcs and right out of the gate I've discovered that I what need cannot currently be done with any existing carpc frontend.

What I want is to be able to output video (and its corresponding audio) to a secondary monitor set to extended desktop, while simultaneously viewing GPS/Navigation software and music playback on the primary monitor. I want this so my kids can watch a movie (with headphones) while I navigate and listen to music up front.

Sounds simple right? Well, it ain't. Neither Centrafuse, nor Roadrunner/Riderunner can do this and retain control of both the music and video. I know Xlobby can do it, just need two soundcards and a skin with screens to control Winamp and Zoomplayer.

What Xlobby can't do at the moment is navigation. I have a trial version of iGuidance that I am trying to use with XMoveWindow and I am getting nowhere. Has anyone taken a stab at this or any other GPS software from within Xlobby?
rembetis

Re: Can't get XMoveWindow to work with iGuidance

Postby rembetis on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Can anybody (badubo?) post a translation of this page from the French xlobby site:

http://france.xlobby.com/forum/ingalls/ ... indows.htm

It seems to address my situation, i.e. an app with an "Afx" style classname that xmovewindow doesn't seem able to pull in, but I can't quite figure out the part about registering a window in a container.

Thanks.
rembetis

Postby badubo on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:13 pm

what is the name of the window class?
badubo

Postby rembetis on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Well, the main outer window is "IntellinavWCIs" but the window I want to display is "Afx:400000:b:10013:6:0"

Neither seem to work.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:57 pm

rembetis

Postby rembetis on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Just need a little guidance with what appears to be a new feature in xmovewindow (at least since I used it last), namely the ability to define a window with class,title, & exe parameters.

The window in question (iGuidance) has the following parameters.
Class Name: IntellinavWCIs
Window Title: iGuidance
Exe: iGuidanceUMPC.exe

"nav" is the name of my navigation screen

So I create a text box, and insert the following text: plugin>xmovewindow>iG(Class.IntellinavWCIs, Title.iGuidance, Exe.iGuidanceUMPC.exe)

Then I put: nav_iG in the ID field.

And get.... nothing. :(

Am I doing something wrong?
rembetis

Postby badubo on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:30 pm

no, it seems correct, but some applications don't allow to change the behaviour of their windows.
Note also that most of the time, you can only embed an outer window (because inners ones are related to outers and cannot be modified)
badubo

Postby rembetis on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Hmmm... well, another carpc frontend named RideRunner embeds this same program perfectly (it just can't do the other things I need) and apparently does it with the same information, so I know it can be done, just not maybe with xmovewindow :(
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Success!!! :D

Well, partly :?

Instead of using all three attributes, I just used: Title.iGuidance. That brought the window in, but if I exit out of the screen, and then return the window does not appear again. Clicking the app in the taskbar makes it visible again, but only for a second.

So close...
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:05 pm

OK, I didn't mean this thread to be a log of my efforts (read: me talking to myself) but some further progress.

Executing iGuidance upon entry to the nav screen, and killing the process upon exit, seem to solve the problem with iGuidance disappearing upon re-entry to the screen, but this is not a great solution as that means any trip info will get killed as well.

I'll keep plugging away at it...
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:55 pm

Well, FWIW, I was able to cobble together a solution, using NirCmd to activate the iGuidance window and enter a mouse click on the window upon entry to the navigation screen. This keeps the window front and center, and in focus.

I've posted a complete how-to which includes my first stab at a carpc skin* over on the mp3car forum for anyone who might also need simultaneous playback and control of movies to a rear screen and music/navigation for the driver.

* I cribbed some buttons and layout ideas from Baddabing. Hope he doesn't mind.
Last edited by rembetis on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rembetis

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:29 pm

I cribbed some buttons and layout ideas from Baddabing. Hope he doesn't mind.

Nope, don't mind :D
BaddaBing