Harmony?

Help each other out

Harmony?

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 pm

I have a chance to buy last generation of harmony remotes at affordable prices, so i was just wondering are these remotes any good? More specificly im talking about 895 and 1000 models. Ive been really drooling over prontos but getting one here in funland is rather hard, so perhaps these can serve as cheap alternative? Ive been reading a little and whole this "activity based wizard"-crap is putting me off. I guess im just asking from harmony owners here, does it mean that remotes are not fully customisable? Also which one is really best model? ive read that radio technology on 895 is somehow better compared to new 900, is that true? How about practical usability of 1000 (and 1100) aesthetics of these remote slaps make me to puke...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Harmony?

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:28 pm

i cant answer all of those... but..

i have a harmony one and a old pronto.

the harmony is a far nicer remote to use, its shape is actually pretty comfy, it can be customised but not as much as the pronto.

i am not keen on the activity based stuff but then you dont have to use it if you dont want - i have one activity "HTPC" that does everything :)

the pronto is now relegated to the bedroom.

btw, the 1000 looks like a pain to use.
S Pittaway

Postby rudytrujillo on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:21 pm

I have used several harmony remotes in the past. The best ones are the 890 and the 900. I have had tons of issues with the 1000 and the 1100 response time is horrible when you press Watch Tv it takes sometimes a couple seconds.. A Couple weeks ago I replaced 3 1000's and put in 3 900's for one of my old customers. His complaint about the 1000's were they don’t hold charge and he had to use the help button allot. I personally have had a 890 for the past 2 years and have had no issues. My 1 1/2 year old daughter even beats that remote up and it’s still running like a champ.

Hope this helps.
rudytrujillo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanx for reviews guys, they were helpful, after reading them i still had mixed feelings about harms and went read online some more.... and came to conclusion to give those harms a pass.

However i acquired couple old prontos lately (namely TSU6000). Its american model so i cant control X-10 (and not strictly legal here, but hey it aint quite DDR here) and like u said, Pitt, it aint exactly slender or gracious (wonder if euro models are lighter :lol: ) but takes 1½-2 paws to handle.

Anyways now im faced with the task to get my DVD covers on pronto for sony changer control. I came across with program called "superNUDElist" (NUDE in PRON2, makes sense :lol: ), but apperently it only inserts text. So i was wondering could local PRONTOsaurs offer a claw tip and point NOOBear into the right direction...
P3rv3rt B3ar