Is XLobby 3 lost in the shadows?

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Re: Is XLobby 3 lost in the shadows?

Postby asphyx on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 pm

I dropped Xlobby as many others that I know because of the better options out there now. Was great when it was free. Not so much anymore.
asphyx

Postby Aaron on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 pm

What other options are you talking about that can provide a unified interface with back-end automation and media control?

I Was using Homeseer and now using Girder for Home Automation, but Girder is difficult to do complex tasks with, unlike Homeseer.

The missing link, for me, is a nice GUI front-end that I can use on a big screen TV via remote, and with a web interface for internet control/status.

XLobby, though I'm not using it right now, looks like it is the only thing that has an all-in-one. Girder & NetRemote can do it but the learning curve is FAR higher IMO and the costs is not free (though very reasonable!).
Aaron

Postby dalanik on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:03 am

There are other programs than XLobby, which in my opinion are as good or better in some areas than xlobby. The only thing each and every one of them lack - which xlobby has, and that is the ONLY fundamental difference - is builtin usable skin-editor with which you can actually do something :-)
dalanik

Postby scottw on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Alot of the others lack multizone audio as well, a deal killer for me.
scottw

Postby Aaron on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:37 pm

[quote="dalanik"]There are other programs than XLobby, which in my opinion are as good or better in some areas than xlobby. The only thing each and every one of them lack - which xlobby has, and that is the ONLY fundamental difference - is builtin usable skin-editor with which you can actually do something :-)[/quote]

True... I'm using Girder right now and it has a nice built-in web interface - and can have a very nice GUI using NetRemote. One benefit, and also IMO a detriment, is that Girder is very powerful and to do some complex X10 lighting scenes you need to script them. I want it built into the app, I don't want to code it myself. I was using Homeseer 1.7 which had a very flexible lighting abilities without coding but lacked a GUI and I did not want to buy v2.0 and the GUI add-ons due to cost.

[quote="scottw"]Alot of the others lack multizone audio as well, a deal killer for me.[/quote]

Very true... I'm using J River Media Center for my multi-zone and it works well, plus has a fantastic library. BUT, my media center is XBMC so I'm hoping they add multi-zone in the next release.

I'm going to look into XLobby becoming my Home Automation "engine" + GUI and multi-zone controller... while using XBMC for my media center.

Does anyone have X10 Lighting "scenes" and a nice multi-room GUI they can share?

Is anyone working on a plug-in for XLobby to integrate with XBMC?
- It would be nice to use the XBMC media library for multi-zone in XLobby and to be able to call XLobby from XBMC (can be done already).
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon May 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Is anyone working on a plug-in for XLobby to integrate with XBMC?
- It would be nice to use the XBMC media library for multi-zone in XLobby and to be able to call XLobby from XBMC (can be done already).

I don't have alot of experience with XBMC, but are you able to send command line executables? If so, then you can command an xlobby machine via Xsend/Xrecieve. Great for commanding the xlobby machine to do different things...it also doesn't require the xlobby machine to act as a server. You just wouldn't get feedback from the xlobby machine. Hey it's a start.
Marbles_00

Postby Rustproof on Tue May 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Is it possible to become a paying subscriber to xlobby?

btw.
I really enjoyed the product, but missed out on the offer to purchase the software.
I've used it during the version 2 trial days, but haven't been able to obtain a copy.
Rustproof

Postby cooldog on Tue May 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Your best bet would be to contact Wes Black at Calrad directly.
cooldog

Previous