XLOBBY controls both Sony DVP-CX777ES DVD changers!!

Speak your mind

Postby Atlas on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Yup! That's how you would do it and you do need the space.
Atlas

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:21 am

xlobby database doesn't provide for location or slot number field...my idea was to use the location field as the COM%1 variable....any other ideas?
sharp_1

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Steven just added the location number and slot numbers to the dvd profiler database format. Awesome!!!
sharp_1

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:56 pm

galileo2000 or anyone:

Have you been able to receive two way rs232 information between XL and your CX777ES? I would like to have a now playing screen in xlobby that is able to receive the current movie that is playing in my Sony CX777ES.
sharp_1

Postby phunk311 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:44 pm

sharp_1: Where did you purchase your 777es from?
phunk311

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:03 pm

sharp_1 wrote:galileo2000 or anyone:

Have you been able to receive two way rs232 information between XL and your CX777ES? I would like to have a now playing screen in xlobby that is able to receive the current movie that is playing in my Sony CX777ES.

I happen to own same player (euro modded version, cost me altogether 1200€ to have it modded, shipped from states and for import taxes and customs fees. U lucky americans get 3 of those with that money). Im currently using utility from Source Forge to control it... but i will eventually make own, which is planned to implement two way communication... ive been reading specs for CX777ES's RS-232 communication. And i believe i have deviced a way to identify disc, even though disc doesnt explicitly state it. However gaining time information from player might prove problematic... cause those are overlined in specs... ill be experimenting with that too eventually...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:31 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Im currently using utility from Source Forge to control it.

I am also using the same utility to control the 777.

Would it take you much time to create the utility to just send back the disc number information?

I would love to learn how to create these types of utilities...maybe you could send me in the right direction to learn how its done?

Thanks!!
sharp_1

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:45 pm

Oh i reply this already once today... but site or connection went down on crucial moment... so now shortly...

Ill be writing ZP and kXctrl plugins... after that ill check 777 out. Fetching disc number should be easy... but that requires u to keep record manually which disc occupies which slot. Method im thinking to identify disc... removes all this extra record keeping... ull just need master record of all your movies and 777 will figure which disc is in which slot.

Now if u wanna try to stab this puzzle, before i can get my hands dirty. Good starting point is source code of earlier utility... and included sony documentation...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:16 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Oh i reply this already once today... but site or connection went down on crucial moment... so now shortly...

Ill be writing ZP and kXctrl plugins... after that ill check 777 out. Fetching disc number should be easy... but that requires u to keep record manually which disc occupies which slot. Method im thinking to identify disc... removes all this extra record keeping... ull just need master record of all your movies and 777 will figure which disc is in which slot.

Now if u wanna try to stab this puzzle, before i can get my hands dirty. Good starting point is source code of earlier utility... and included sony documentation...

FYI - DVD profiler has collection, slot and location data in the collection.xml file. Steven was kind enough to add the slot and location fields to xl a few months ago. I am thinking that is the database information we will need to use...right?

I willl take a look at the 777 utility and see if I can figure anything out...maybe we could work together on it? even though my help may actually be a hindrance. Thanks
sharp_1

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:41 pm

sharp_1 wrote:FYI - DVD profiler has collection, slot and location data in the collection.xml file. Steven was kind enough to add the slot and location fields to xl a few months ago. I am thinking that is the database information we will need to use...right?

Yeah sure... but these slot numbers wont appear DVD profiler automaticly... and even if u have already seen trouble to fill them in... lets assume u deside to do major change of discs in 777... ull have to manually re-record all this data.

If my idea works... ull just have to have your DVDs in profiler (or something corresponding) and 777 would be able to determinate automaticly whats on which place... ofcourse it will use same fields to record data... difference is just u would have to never touch these fields by yourself.

Have u any idea is there newer version of that RS-232 specs document, which is included with Source Forge utility? i have tried to search... but cant find...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby heylmun on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:28 pm

Can you tell me exactly how you got XLobby to control your cx777es, primarily-how does it communicate (IR or cable, if cable what kind & how is it configured). Where exactly did you get the Sony serial control utility and how is it incorporated with your setup.
heylmun

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:20 pm

galileo2000 wrote:I've got quite a few questions regarding "how-to" on AVS forum through PM, so I thought I should post a quick guide here as well:

- First, you want to download your DVD info with DVDProfiler.

-second, you want to import DVDProfiler info into XLobby. A guide can be found here:
http://www.xlobby.com/files/jowaldo...filer/index.htm

-third, you download and unpack Sony 777 Control program from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cx777es-rs232
Then you connect Sony 777 to the serial port of your HTPC using null modem serial cable.

- fourth, create batch file, create a new .TXT document using Windows Notepad. Fill in text. Save. Rename file from "something.txt" to "something.bat".
Example:
d:\777\sony_cx777es.exe COM1 36 300 0 0 1

by using this command, 777 is told to start playing DVD #300.
You will need to create separate batch file for every DVD you want to control from XLobby.
Another example:
You name your batch file "001batman.bat".

Your file content:
"[path]sony_cx777es COM1 36 1 0 0 1"
I use "d:\777\" as "path,", so my file looks like this:
"d:\777\sony_cx777es.exe COM1 36 1 0 0 1"

The entry after "36" indicates the slot number.
777 is told to play DVD from slot 1 where your movie "Batman" resides.

You might want to read program documentation enclosed in download if you want / need more info.

- fifth, you want to start Xlobby, hit F2, select Databases tab, select "Movies" and click "Edit" button.
Now you should get something like this screenshot:
http://img500.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xlobby37zf.jpg

You highlight the name of DVD on the left side of the screen.
You put the full path to the batch file described above into "Parameter" field. You put path to the image from the DVDProfiler into "CoverArt" field. You put what you want XLobby to display when you click the image into "Display" field.
You repeat this for every DVD.
You close DB Editor and Setup windows of XLobby.

You are done.

Good luck.
sharp_1

Postby tswhite70 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Sharp_1 - I was reading this thread with interest (don't currently have changer but one may be in my future). Noticed you were defining batch files for each DVD and updating their parameter field by hand.

I was thinking you may just be able to use the OS Execute function direct to the sony_cx777es.exe with the dvd slot number variable as an argument instead of calling unique batch files.

OS EXECUTE EVENT:
File = d:\777\sony_cx777es.exe
Arguments = COM1 36 %category>movies>slot% 0 0 1
Window Type = Hidden

Or maybe create a generic batch file that takes slot number as input and calls the sony exe.

OS EXECUTE EVENT:
File = something.bat
Arguments = %category>movies>slot%
Window Type = Hidden

Then the batch file would be something like:
d:\777\sony_cx777es.exe COM1 36 %1 0 0 1

just an idea...
tsw
tswhite70

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Its bad idea.

Batch file can contain whole set of instructions to run that particular program on that particular dvd... sometimes u have to hack around to find a working key (command) combination and timing to have everything launched and initiated just as u like and as fast as possible. some of my batchfiles get like 15 lines long.

U would anyway need to store these unique initialization sequence scripts somewhere, until we have better solution batch files are clearly best.

That is if u want your dvd be set up automaticly and movie start at the moment u finish watching that 90 seconds trailer, that is by the way hard goal for many dvds, especially ones with freaking UOP protected FBI and FACT whining, when u have to count off 30 seconds already for loading of DVD (since u have no advance knowledge about current position of carousel u need to count according worst case)

EDIT: to clarify: in ideal world, with ideal dvds that one liner could launch all dvds, but unfortunately that one liner (or any other single sequence) doesnt work with all real dvds. Or mayby it does work, if u happen to own UOP modded player...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:28 am

I am using the batch file idea that tswhite70 is talking about and it is working out perfectly. The only catch is that just like P3rv3rt B3ar said...alot of DVD's start on different chapters. Hence, I burn a backup copy of every DVD that I put into the 777ES. It's the only way to have movies start in a very predictable way every time.

P3rv3rt B3ar - any progress on your 2-way RS232 idea???
sharp_1

PreviousNext