Computer VS Projector for TV viewing

Speak your mind

Re: Computer VS Projector for TV viewing

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm assuming currently you control the projector with an IR remote? with the hardware sharp_1 mentioned, xLobby can learn the commands from your existing remote and you can then create an event where xLobby will play back those commnads, thus emmulating your remote.
cmhardwick

Postby homepc on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 pm

sharp_1 wrote:You would use the 1/8" output jack on the USB-UIRT:
to your projector with an IR Repeater:

Works like a charm!!!

Ok, this looks really cool, but I dont use a remote with the computer or with XL. I use an air mouse. But is it possible to click on a button in XL and have it send the IR command to the projector through this device? The XL button would have to send a signal to the projector to switch to a differant input for video, and it would have to send a signal to the reciever to switch to a differant input for audio. Is this possible?

thanks
ray
homepc

Postby homepc on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:15 pm

cmhardwick wrote:I'm assuming currently you control the projector with an IR remote? with the hardware sharp_1 mentioned, xLobby can learn the commands from your existing remote and you can then create an event where xLobby will play back those commnads, thus emmulating your remote.

cmhardwick,

I think you answered my question before I had a chance to ask it! lol

are you Psychic? wow thanks!
homepc

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:24 pm

homepc wrote: The XL button would have to send a signal to the projector to switch to a differant input for video, and it would have to send a signal to the reciever to switch to a differant input for audio. Is this possible?

This is exactly what I do right now with this configuration...works like a charm!!! That's what makes xLobby so great!!!
sharp_1

Postby homepc on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:30 pm

sharp_1 wrote:
homepc wrote: The XL button would have to send a signal to the projector to switch to a differant input for video, and it would have to send a signal to the reciever to switch to a differant input for audio. Is this possible?

This is exactly what I do right now with this configuration...works like a charm!!! That's what makes xLobby so great!!!

This sounds WAY to cooll.....but wait, after I switch to a differant input on my projector using XL, I can no longer see the XL screen obviuously. How do I get XL to switch the projector back to the input for the computer?
homepc

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:15 pm

do you only use the projector as your computer out? I use a dual head video card, one to a small monitor for xLobby, one to the TV for movies, etc.
cmhardwick

Postby homepc on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:24 pm

cmhardwick, yes I only use the projector as my computer out. Eventually I'd like to have the same setup as yourself, with the small monitor for XL, but as for now, its just the projector for everything, XL, TV, Movies...everything.
homepc

Postby m_ski on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:10 pm

but wait, after I switch to a differant input on my projector using XL, I can no longer see the XL screen obviuously. How do I get XL to switch the projector back to the input for the computer?

When you switch to projector also have xlobby go to a special screen with 1 giant button filling the entire screen. The event on this button could be setup so that 1 click of the mouse will then fire off the IR commands to return the projector to xlobby input.
If you can think of it then xlobby can do it one way or another...
m_ski

Postby homepc on Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:01 pm

m_ski wrote:
but wait, after I switch to a differant input on my projector using XL, I can no longer see the XL screen obviuously. How do I get XL to switch the projector back to the input for the computer?

When you switch to projector also have xlobby go to a special screen with 1 giant button filling the entire screen. The event on this button could be setup so that 1 click of the mouse will then fire off the IR commands to return the projector to xlobby input.
If you can think of it then xlobby can do it one way or another...

Hey yes....I like that idea. That way I can just click the mouse anywhere and it should send the IR commands. Man, this is way to cool. Hey, what software runs this IRBlaster? Is it Girder or some other software? Another question, the IRBlaster would have to send a command to the projector AND the audio receiver. I assume it can? Does it do it one at a time or both together or so fast I wouldn't notice the differance?
homepc

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:01 pm

xLobby can send the commands to the blaster directly, I believe. ALso, I would think it will send them sequentially instead of simultaneously. However, I don't use one of these so I'm not sure.

Enjoy! :D
cmhardwick

Postby homepc on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Ok maybe this is a little off topic for XL but thought I'd ask anyway because you guys are so helpful!! Anyway, I was thinking that my Set Top Box for the TV basically just sends out a video signal through the component cables. So, really I dont need a TV tuner card in my computer, right? All I really need is some kind of component video INPUT card and software? Make sence? Route the video into the computer from the set top box, and then back out of the computer to the projector? Am I way off base?

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:31 am

why add a layer of conversion/equipment? Why not just run it straight to your projector? I don't run ANYTHING into my computer and back out again. Satellite goes straight to TV, HDMI dvd player, straight to TV, HTPC straight to TV (haven't played around with using the HTPC to replace my dvd player yet, give me time).
cmhardwick

Postby m_ski on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:14 pm

As I said before...
you have an extra analog-digital and digital-analog conversion going on, it is bound to lose a bit of quality

Don't do this - you WILL lose quality.
m_ski

Postby homepc on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:37 pm

Ok thanks! I will no longer think of this route. It will stay direct connect to the projector. I will pursure using XL to IR the commands to control the projector using IRBlaster.

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby homepc on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Another question....

With my WinTV tuner card came an IR remote control receiver and an IR Blaster (infra-red remote control transmitter). Can I use these with XL instead of the IR Blaster listed above? WIll they work the same way or would it be much more complicated and I should just stay with getting the IR Blaster listed above?

thanks
Ray
homepc

Previous