Is XLobby 3 lost in the shadows?

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Re: Is XLobby 3 lost in the shadows?

Postby Jay on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:04 pm

I bought 3 licences and the support has been super from Calrad.
Jay

Postby samgreco on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Jay wrote:I bought 3 licences and the support has been super from Calrad.

I'm glad to hear that. I have 3 licenses too. But I still don't have anything that I can use yet.

I need to have RS232 2-way before I can really do anything. So my licenses are in limbo right now.

I have been here since forever and really want this to succeed. I think I was one of Steven's first donors.

But the question is, will Xlobby be available to the open market? If not, what does that mean for future versions, upgrades, etc. If I buy new hardware down the road and something doesn't work, will I be supported or will I be forced to buy their hardware. There is alot of gray out there.

Please understand, I am NOT slamming Calrad for whatever decision they have made or will make. It's just uncertainty.

And without a DIY community, will this grow into anything but a very focused piece of software, on very focused hardware?
samgreco

Postby Jay on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:49 pm

Understood. I use HomeSeer2, via XSeer, to handle RS-232 and all automation thru XL. In my setup, I'm only lacking internal Vista/PowerDVD7 support - which they're working on. In the meantime, I'm using VLC.
Different strokes ...
Sure on your other. Calrad sells bundled solutions to system integrators. Maybe they'll re-release a standalone XL, maybe not.
If they believe they can make a buck selling to us DIYers w/o out going broke with support, I'm sure they will.
Which of course, dosen't answer your question.
In my case, I believe I've made the right choice.
Time will tell as it always does.
Jay

Postby fletch on Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:01 am

samgreco wrote:...Please understand, I am NOT slamming Calrad for whatever decision they have made or will make. It's just uncertainty.

And without a DIY community, will this grow into anything but a very focused piece of software, on very focused hardware?

Sam,

That is exactly my take as well. I certainly do not claim to understand the market Calrad is going for, nor do I think that I'm smarter than they in regards to the markets they must go into. I hope that the commercial version of xLobby succeeds. I'm also glad to hear that the current adopters are receiving "super" customer service. My choice not to jump in was just that, my choice. But from a purely personal point of view, I'm disappointed I had hoped that xLobby3 and beyond would continue to be available as a software only choice. Hopefully there is enough of the DIY community remaining, that the free xlobby will contiune to grow through skins and plugins. But that too I fear is unlikely. At some point I suspect the plugin architecture and skinning environment will change in the commercial version. When that happens I doubt the divided community will continue to support both versions. Any way I haven't found anything to replace it so for now I will continue with the free version.

Aaron
fletch

Postby wesblack on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:52 am

Calrad is very committed to xLobbys success as Steven and I am. Sorry the progress to Ver 3.0 is behind and delayed, but beta versions will start to appear in late February 2008. Several real life installs of the current Ver 3.0 + RS232 two way lighting services are working with Insteon lighting using over 45 switches with 2 way feed back, Insteon is faster and more reliable since we dumped there API. RS232 2 way will definately be in Ver 3.0.

Jay I hope to have a solution for your Vista DVD playback next week, thanks for your patience.

I think the xLobby community will grow and benefit from the old freeware and the new Version, nothing is in stone with regards to what I proposed about a possible software release in the future, remember the users who continue to support the foum by helping others or building skins, etc. will always have access to special discounts of xLobby, Calrad products and the ability to profit from xLobby by selling there services if they want. Eventually partnerships between Calrad and certified xLobby users who are interested in designing skins and xLobby interface designs, plug-ins will be possible.

I still appreciate everyones comments and concerns as this helps us evaluate our direction and hopefuly produce a superior product.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby sharp_1 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:30 pm

Nicely said Wes.

I agree this is only the beginning of where xLobby could go and with user support (i.e. skins, plugins and interfaces) not only xLobby continue to grow but it will continue to grow in a good way with viable input from users that may fit more into the mainstream user much more than just a programmer/engineer type of design mindset.

I look forward to great things from xLobby in the future...
sharp_1

Postby Jay on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:54 pm

+1
"Jay I hope to have a solution for your Vista DVD playback next week, thanks for your patience."
Wes, given the support level I've received, I'm confident you'll work it out. Especially since all will face this eventually.
TIA :D
Jay

Postby wesblack on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:08 am

Jay,

Just saw you post on the forum and wanted to give you an update on your Vista playback issue.

I had to order a basic version of Vista to test your issue with DVD playback. The problem is that the Verion of Vista we have has Media Center on it, so it is difficult to check your issue and since DVD playbackt works on this machine I need to put a fresh copy of Vista on a machine to test your issue. What version of vista do you have.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Jay on Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:33 am

Wes, I have Vista Home Premium with Media Center.
I had to buy PowerDVD7 because 6 is out of print. I have AC3.

I think I have it working ok. Emailing you the graph file.
Jay

Postby Aaron on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:24 am

Wes,
By your statement you infer that you don't have an MSDN subscription? Seems odd that a developer based in MS platforms would not have MSDN.
Aaron

Postby muzz on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:49 pm

wesblack wrote:beta versions will start to appear in late February 2008

Eh..betas released today then?

At least give us an update please Wes
muzz

Postby lar282 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:07 am

muzz wrote:
wesblack wrote:beta versions will start to appear in late February 2008

At least give us an update please Wes

Agree. Information is always good. plus we don't have to ask all the time -:)

//Lasse
lar282

Postby wesblack on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:57 am

I would not post the dates if we thought they were not obtainable, but some individuals are relentless on getting updates from us. We expected to meet the February deadline but some items in the skin editor are taking a little longer to get finished then anticipated and system integrator sales and support issues are increasing every day causing additional delays. All of these things are making xLobby better and more powerful for V3. Steven wants to have the new skin editor in V3 usable with minable bugs and to be more in-line with what we want the new skin editor to be and not go back and re-work the look and feel of the design and menus over and over again.In simple terms he did not want to release it at 60% complete.

Obviously most of the installers are not at the level of needing to use the skin editor every day like the long term xLobby users do here. We have been selling and installing V3 on many machines in the field with no major issues and they perform at a level of most installers expect and when necessay we can log into the machine and provide any assistance to them as needed for Russound, Lighting, etc or needed skin changes until the editor is finished 100%.

Beleive me I want V3 finished to so we can get into the growing list of features we want to add and support ! :D

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby rika on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:44 am

No worries, it’s just that I have been in the "my xlobby" more time than in the forum lately
I deleted my post just before your answer...
Take your time. We love the product!

Rika
rika

Postby cooldog on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:03 am

Wes,

Thanks for the update!!

Paul
cooldog

PreviousNext