7th Pre-Release Ready

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Re: Profiler XML Import Not Updating; Item.XML

Postby thekochs on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:54 pm

thekochs wrote:SOLVED: Well, the above #5 Update got me thinking. I found that in each of my movie folders (eg. D\{movie name}\) there was a XML called item.xml. So, even though I was deleting the movie.xml in the XL Program Files database subdirectory clearly each of the item.xml files was over-riding any other info. I can't be sure but I think that the existance of these item.xml files messes up or over-rides the Profiler import. It's hard to tell since the message from the F2 import ALWAYS says "Profiler Movies Imported: 0"....even when successful. I recall these item.xml files showing up when I started playing with the DB editor....probably the Spider section. I'm guessing the information download from Spider trials created this item.xml. The problem is that this either blocks and/or overrides the Profiler import. Since the Spider info isn't ready for Prime Time, I wanted/will stay with DVD Profiler. So, once I deleted the Movies.xml in the XL Program Files Database subdirectory and all the Item.xml files in my movies directories and then I did a re-import all the info came in properly. Hope this helps someone else.

Well, I upgraded to 2.0.8036.35. I had to do some resets....even in my custom SKIN.....example my TheaterTek file type launch string was reset to unable, Zoomplayer enabled, my XML DVD Profiler path reset to defaults..frustrating but manageable since I've done a few times.

Anyway, as my posts above stated there is now a item.xml appearing in each of my movie folders. The info in here seems to be from my DVD Profiler XML import. My DVD Profiler XML upon import obviously creates/updates the movies.xml in the Xlobby database directory. The issue I found is that this item.xml overrides the movies.xml....and is not updatable once origionally created !!!! Thus if I do another DVD Profiler import from my "collection.xml" it does update the movies.xml....however the item.xml are not changed from their initial creation.....even if I delete the database and full re-import in F2 under Media Folder for movies. Thus, any actor, plot (overview field in profiler export/xml) are not changed....the origional item.xml content still is present. I have to delete all these item.xml files, then do a delete database in F2, then import, to get the movies database to receive all new/update entries from DVD Profiler Export. I've tested this various ways which changing plots or actors in XMLs and manually out of Profiler and the item.xml's origional creation info rule the show unless they are deleted. So, I'm not sure where/when these starting showing up but is there a way to permantly turn them off and/or make the movies.xml be the governing XML for info ?
thekochs

Re: 7th Pre-Release Ready

Postby wesblack on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:22 am

The item.xml files were added to the folders as a backup to the movies database main xml file, always providing artwork and movie details in the event of the main movie database being corrupted. The additional reason was so that external hard drives could be moved from one location to another and the artwork and movie details would not have to be re-spidered when added to another valid xLobby system. I suppose we could add a utility in xLobby that would remove theses as well as not add them in the first place if a user so desired.

Sincerely,

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby dalanik on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 am

wesblack wrote: I suppose we could add a utility in xLobby that would remove theses as well as not add them in the first place if a user so desired.

Better to update them when the movies.xml has changed :-)
dalanik

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:24 pm

an option not to write rhem would be usefull...

my movies are sored on a central server and there are quite alot of them. saving the movie db used to take ~second, now it takes ages

also most of the time the share is read only so it cant update them anyway.
S Pittaway

Postby thekochs on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:52 am

wesblack wrote:The item.xml files were added to the folders as a backup to the movies database main xml file, always providing artwork and movie details in the event of the main movie database being corrupted. The additional reason was so that external hard drives could be moved from one location to another and the artwork and movie details would not have to be re-spidered when added to another valid xLobby system. I suppose we could add a utility in xLobby that would remove theses as well as not add them in the first place if a user so desired.

Sincerely,

Wes Black \ Calrad

Wes,

First thanks for the confirmation I'm not going crazy. :) I did not even check....are there item.xml in other databases/folders...like MP3s/Music ?

I don't mind the item.xml files but not if they are not updatable. I assume you/Steven intended them to be updatable ?....if so...just with Spider or DVD Profiler import too ? Also, it appears the item.xml is the one that is used first (by default)...not the movies.xml ? Seems like XL should check movies.xml first then in abscence or corrupt should check item.xml ?

I don't use the Spider....only DVD Profiler input. It's your call but I think two things would be in order...perhaps under the F2 database screen.......
1) Check box for which or both to be generated.....movies.xml & item.xml
2) Whatever is checked above gets updated on XML import.

or...........forget #1 and #2 and just make sure on DVD Profiler import that the item.xml files are updated as well (perhaps simplest)

Let me know....right now I have to physically scan all my external HDDs, delete all the item.xml files, then import the Profiler XML which updates Movies.xml and I guess generates new item.xml files. :(
thekochs

Postby wesblack on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 am

I discussed the item.xml file feature with Steven. In Ver 3.0 we will add a checkbox for enabling \ disabling this feature. As well as a utility to remove the file from each movie folder.

Sincerely,

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby thekochs on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:45 pm

wesblack wrote:I discussed the item.xml file feature with Steven. In Ver 3.0 we will add a checkbox for enabling \ disabling this feature. As well as a utility to remove the file from each movie folder.

Sincerely,

Wes Black \ Calrad

Thanks.....couple questions.......
1) Item.XML only updatable from Spiders not Profiler input ?
2) Item.XML is default...not movies.xml ?

Also...........any chance to have this feature or simply the item.xml removed and re-generated automatically on DVD Profiler input on V2 ? PLLLLEEEEAAASSEEEE. :)
thekochs

Postby Jay on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Looks like a present is available in My Xlobby/ downloads :D
Jay

Postby defrag on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 am

Jay wrote:Looks like a present is available in My Xlobby/ downloads :D

Well spotted!!! Were you refreshing on the hour all week?? :lol:
defrag

Postby Jay on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 am