While we are waiting...

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Postby Naylia on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:47 am

rika,

the artwork is sweet, it looks awesome...just need to get xweather working so I can use the proper icons for the "now icon".

Naylia

Postby rika on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:52 am

Thanks
Maby you could ask Steven to look at xweather :wink:

Rika
rika

Postby dalanik on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 pm

Got it working with original images, now I'm downloading these imgs and will check whether it works... keeping fingers crossed... :-)
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:26 pm

Problem solved. The images are actually jpegs renamed as pngs. Once I converted the to real PNGs, everything works fine.

Now only a question on synchro-display... sort forecast locations in same way in xweather and xoapweather and create events to go next-prev at the same time?

D.
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:58 pm

Naylia, that looks awesome!!

since this looks good thread to catch skinners attention, ill use it as shameless ad for xPerT. I have two features planned for next release, which can be greatly increase xlobbys capabilities to present for example weather.

Theyre called Mapcats and collagecats.

Idea for mapcat is originally from need to present zones of the house on blueprint. Certainly there is lot of ways to do that, but atleast as far as i know not one which is really xlobbyish and easily transferable from user to user. Mapcat is pretty much like any other category, except coverart of database items is presented on top of background (map), location of items is stored in database. So when skin is transfered to new owner, all he has to do is define his zones database (including locations of his room) and change the blueprint file (meaning user wont need to do any skinning himself).

Allthough it originally came from house blueprints there many ways to use mapcat, for example what im doing now, is to have map of finland and displaying weather and temperature of different cities on it on correct places. Aah u r prolly thinking how can present both? well im getting ahead of my self that is power of collagecat. Also u could display realtime info, lets assume u have some gps plugin which can update info in xl database lets say "cars" and u could present city map and keep track where your cars are going at the moment.

Idea for collagecat i got from the need to present both weather outlook and temperature on same icon on mapcat like explained above. Collagecat creates coverart for category in realtime combining several pictures or text items on way specified by skinner on "template" (template is done in xlobby on skinning mode like any other real screen). nice thing about collagecats is that they work within both regular xlobby cat and inside mapcats. Also collage cats has many other possible uses, for example im using one to create coverart icons for my dvd language setup in realtime by combining several single icons (countries flags, DTS, DD, number of speakers, wether commentary track or not) based on values in databases. If i couldnt do this combining on fly i would need insane amount of preworked combined icons, and i would need redundant info on database.

Heres little proof of concept to explain my words and also to point out that these ideas arent intangible babbling anymore but a proven prototype.

Mapcat is on right hand side. Notice how icons have both outlook and temperature, this is because of collagecat, u can see regular xlobby cat there on down with collage cat icons too. Unfortunate black background is because of xlobbys .png bug. XL will delete some of pngs as soon as theyre placed to coverart, and i havent found way around this yet, so i have to use jpg, hence no transparency.

I get weather info by means of variable smugglers (another new xPert feature) u can see text fields on left hand side, these are smugglers, they carry whole catfull of info from xoapweather for use of xPerT automaticly. In real life skins, skinner have to hide mugglers ofcourse.
(smugglers arent tied to specific plugins, They can retrieve info from any plugin which is capable to put it onto text field and they can deposit it to either xl variables or cats, where it is fetchable by any plugin. so in essence they make interplugin communication possible to some degree)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Naylia on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:49 pm

dalanik wrote:Problem solved. The images are actually jpegs renamed as pngs. Once I converted the to real PNGs, everything works fine.

Now only a question on synchro-display... sort forecast locations in same way in xweather and xoapweather and create events to go next-prev at the same time?

D.

Good to know...i had planned the same synchornizing events as you...just add a second command for the other plugin to next forecast, prev forecast, and refresh forecast events.

Thanks for the compliment, PrivateBear. Rika's images worked really well with the transparency my skin uses. I could definitly see using xPerT when I get around to multizone. Or adding a map like yours if we could get the transparency bug fixed.
Naylia

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, as this weather skin is awesome. Rika, Naylia, both of you, really nice looking skins going on. To me this is shaping up to be an outstanding skin for the kitchen, or for a touchscreen. It's so cool it just has to be on display in a high traffic area.

P3rv,
You have caught my attention with the XPerT mapcat stuff. That may be what would be useful for my ZoneSkin2 so others can easily create their own zoning map for their purposes.

How soon do you think you may be releasing this new version of XPerT?
Marbles_00

Postby rika on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:52 pm

dalanik wrote:Problem solved. The images are actually jpegs renamed as pngs. Once I converted the to real PNGs,

Yes, I did that just to make the png:s smaller. And allso reduced the jpg:s to 80% quality, otherwise these had been huge.
Glad you solved this.

Rika
rika

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:00 am

Marbles_00 wrote:P3rv,
You have caught my attention with the XPerT mapcat stuff. That may be what would be useful for my ZoneSkin2 so others can easily create their own zoning map for their purposes.

Yes, been paying atention to your zoneskin and i like it a lot looks like a beauty and seems very functional. Havent tested though, cause im Dragon man, its gonna take something megalogorgeous (wondering if i just invented new word) for me to make a change. Besides it wouldnt fit to my case anyway, its brushed aluminium so having it real and virtual next to each other wont look too good i suppose.
How soon do you think you may be releasing this new version of XPerT?

Im afraid its gonna take loooong time, we are talking months here, even though im now very motivated to have everything ready htpc wise on summer when my sweet w0lf13 will pay me a visit. Mainly this is though related to fact that so many traditional functions of xPerT are broken or ridden by hard-to-find-bugs and i want everything pretty much work like they should on next public release.

If i however direct my efforts first to mapcat part i mayby could make u experimental build to test around much sooner, allthough there is still lot to work on mapcat part alone,for example it doesnt still yet respond to mouseover, or handle deepcats. oh and i need to find some solution to .png problem...

P.S. i dont think u should worry too much about threadjack... rikas threads get always jacked anyways... theres prolly few pages about antique radios on the other one :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby rika on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:14 am

Yes, as P3rv sayed, no problem. Discuss what you like :wink:
Rika
rika

Postby Naylia on Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:54 pm

Updating to XWeather 2.0 (the july build) solved all my issues. I was using a really old outdated version. I even upgraded to .Net 2 in the process....i've been a little behind the times. Trying to decide if I should do the entire skin like this as an option or leave it at just the weather page.
Naylia

Postby dalanik on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:31 am

:-)
dalanik

Postby Naylia on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:06 pm

rika,

any chancy you have 16x9 images??? my moon looks like an egg :)
Naylia

Postby rika on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:22 pm

I vill fix a 16:9 set. We cant have a moon like an egg. Not until after the hollydays thogh.

rika
rika

Postby Naylia on Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks!
Naylia

PreviousNext