Antivirus and Automatic Updates

Speak your mind

Antivirus and Automatic Updates

Postby scottw on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:50 pm

Do you guys have an Antivirus program installed on your XL machines???

Anyone have Automatic Updates turned on??

I have Symantec Antivirus and had a few problems with it but am afraid to remove it completely. I have run AVG free on a few other computers and it seems to do a good job so I was thinking of running that on my XL machines. Good idea?

I had turned off Automatic Updates a while back and installed them manually but am wondering if I will run into any problems if I just let them get installed automatically. Any input?

I have started to run backups a few times a month to my Unraid server, something I never did before....good thing I did since Symantec hosed one of my machines and I was able to just do a simple restore :D

Just curious what others are doing.
scottw

Re: Antivirus and Automatic Updates

Postby Jay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:01 am

Using AVG. No probs.
Automatic Updates turned on. No probs.
I backup XL even when I make just an element change. I backup to a WD, 1TB My Book. No probs.
Long ago I found Norton and Symantec way too bloated.
First I went to Nod32 but hated paying all that annual money x the number of machines. AVG is good.
IMHO.
Helpful?
Jay

Postby BaddaBing on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 am

Using AVG with auto-updates and XL with no problems for nearly 3 years. Norton AV has turned into bloatware that does nothing more than slow down your system.
BaddaBing

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:27 am

Jay wrote:Helpful?

Very much so!!!!

I too feel that Symantec is bloated.

I am going to try AVG out on the XL machines...whats the worst that will happen, I restore from backup :D
I never use to backup before because I had all of my movies on each machine, alot to backup. Now that I have everything on the Unraid server there is not much to backup.

Thanks Baddabing..seems the feelings are the same about Norton/Symantec.
scottw

Postby Jay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:44 am

Good.
I should add that I backup my SD DVDs to the WD, as well.
I have no interest in ripping HD/Blu-Rays.
Jay

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:57 am

Jay wrote:Good.
I should add that I backup my SD DVDs to the WD, as well.
I have no interest in ripping HD/Blu-Rays.

I agree SD DVD quality is just fine for me as well.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 am

Norton=bloated crap
Even McAfee is bloated.

For pay antivirus software I heard Trend is good, and so is Kaspersky is right up there.

I've been using Avast Antivirus (the free home edition). It's great at finding infected files and preventing them from running. It is not good a "cleaning" infected files. Most times the files are in the temp internet directory, so I just choose the option to delete the infected file altogether. Been pleased with it overall.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:40 am

Yeah the free AVG is what I am looking at it. Just loaded it on one machine and it seems to run fine. What I don't want is for it to interfere with using XL, I turned off the balloon pop ups off. I don't want to have to use a mouse to close all of the balloon pop ups when it updates I put my machine in standby at night so running a scan at 3 in the morning won't work for me. If it can run the scan while the computer is up and not "hiccup" the computer that will be fine. If I set it for 3am will it run the next time the computer is up or do I need to set it to scan during the day when it may be out of standby?

When is everyone running their scans?
scottw

Postby wesblack on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 am

We use and recommend ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 software, low use of resources and nonintrusive to the user and has a reasonable cost structure for home and office users.

We have been using NOD32 for more than 3 years with great success.

Link:
http://www.eset.com/

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:33 am

Just my 2CZK worth :-)

Norton - total crap, so much stuff that it slows down your PC to a crawl.... stopped using it after version 2000 !!!
McAfee - similar to norton
Kaspersky - was good, pretty OK
AVG Free - OK, but insists on updating every day and pops up update notifications, once you skip update, have to trigger manually
NOD32 - The best one!! While I used it (now I use AVG) I didn't even know I had a AV :-)

So, my recommendation - go with NOD32!

I don't use anything on my HTPC, since I don't use browser nor mail on it - and I'm afraid it will slow down my HTPC. I have updates turned off - if it ain't broken - don't fix it! :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 pm

I don't use anything on my HTPC, since I don't use browser nor mail on it - and I'm afraid it will slow down my HTPC. I have updates turned off - if it ain't broken - don't fix it!

Actually, that was going to be my reply too, but I didn't feel like getting into a big discussion about it, but really, if you aren't browsing, or only going to manufacturer sites to update drivers (but why...if it ain't broke), then is it really needed on the HTPC?

Totally forgot about NOD32. A local computer company that takes part on a talk show with the local radio station talks about NOD32 and how good it is. Funny how you guys have made mention of how good it is too.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:53 pm

But if it's still connected to the internet shouldn't it still be kept updated?

Or is this the discussion you didn't want to get into :lol:
scottw

Postby BaddaBing on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 pm

If a PC is connected to the internet it ABSOLUTELY needs antivirus and firewall software.
BaddaBing

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Or is this the discussion you didn't want to get into

You got it mate :lol:

There's a good discussion here where the pros and cons are debated:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... =antivirus
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Baddabing and Jay,

How do you have yours setup as far as auto-scanning and popups. I would like it to be as un-noticable as possible. I turned off all the balloon popups but don't know if any of them are necessary. Want it to be able to keep me protected but just notify me if there is a problem.

Thanks,
scottw

Next