Would anyone else like to see an RS-232 plugin?

Speak your mind

Anyone else want an RS-232 serial control plugin?

Poll ended at Fri May 13, 2005 1:28 am

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes : 17

Postby PhilB on Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:47 am

A plugin would be great but to be honest it would have to be two way to get me to replace Girder which is tricky but very reliable.

I use RS-232 to send string commands to a specific com port to control a Sonance multizone amp and to change it's volume, balance and AM/FM radio stations.

The downside is I cant get any feedback but the system is very stable with a high WAF.
PhilB

Postby samgreco on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:46 am

lpg,

Are you still working on this? I'm hoping that you come up with this plugin and that it is bi-directional :) Nudge, nudge.

And before everyone else responds, I know I can use Girder (and do), but I cannot figure out how to get data back into XLobby from Girder.

It's almost impossible to implement volume sliders without first knowing the current state. If your sceen comes up with the slider set to 75% but the actual level is 30%, as soon as you touch the slider, the level will jump to 75%, or where ever you click the mouse or touch the touchscreen.

Unless someone has another idea?
samgreco

Postby lpg on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:45 am

I have the base interface designed. My thoughts are to have a device xml file that devices specifications can be imported and exported from. My first pass will handle simple conversation sessions. Initialize session, Command, accept response(put in variable or trigger an event). I am using the .net 2.0 communications methods. I have built my test enviornmet between two portables where I can watch the conversation. I will also include a communication log that you will be able to record the communication stream and test your commands.

I should be able to get back to it next week. The Holiday slowed me down.

Larry
lpg

Postby samgreco on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:30 am

I'd be glad to do some testing as I have time. I have a Xantech multizone preamp that I use with RS-232, plus a UPB lighting controller.
samgreco

Postby muzz on Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:08 pm

I would be right up for testing this, I need Xlobby to send rs232 to my RedEye Serial to change channels on my cable box!! 8)
muzz

Postby lpg on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:18 am

Updated screenshots 2/20/07
I have the main interface built and just completed and tested the communication subsystem(entertaining - events for com in .net 2.0 use multithreading). Next I need to build the command interface. I am going to use a tree view and allow multiple subcommands per command. I also need to do some type of template formating so I know if you are giving me hex or ascii. Finally I need to wrap this into the xLobby interface(I did this with another communication program based on .net 1.0 and it worked fine. Thanks for the offer to test. If you would like me to send the executables email me at my gmail account. I can send the main app and the comm test program I wrote(Just sends strings right now);

I have laid a foundation for a very flexible and have plans in the future to allow dynamic assembly of c# code so you will be able to do advanced pre and post processing of the communication stream.

Initially this program will be focused on the RS232 interface but I do not see anyreason why it could not be extended to include TCP/IP communication.

On the following screens please excuse some of the test texboxes I have on the screens. I still have some cleaning up to do.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the main setup program:

Here are some shots of the Test program I wrote to test out the communications subsystem:

In the receive textbox I wanted to see how the receivedata event was capturing the data so where you see the "|" is where the event was called and I posted the result to the textbox.

Please let me know what you think about the interface so far and if you have any suggestions or recommendations for the first version.

Larry
Last edited by lpg on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lpg

Postby lpg on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:34 am

PhilB wrote:A plugin would be great but to be honest it would have to be two way to get me to replace Girder which is tricky but very reliable.

I use RS-232 to send string commands to a specific com port to control a Sonance multizone amp and to change it's volume, balance and AM/FM radio stations.

The downside is I cant get any feedback but the system is very stable with a high WAF.

Could you give me and example of the current strings you send.

Also what would the response strings look like if you could query for status?

Larry
lpg

Postby samgreco on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:31 am

Thought I'd ressurect this thread and see if anything has happened with this.

Any progress?
samgreco

Postby lpg on Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:24 am

I have done a ton of work on this and began to pull it into plugin format and my life became very busy. I have a couple of pieces left to finish but will not be able to get back to this for a few weeks. I have writtenn it in visual c.sharp if someone would like to help finish it off the help would be appreciated.

Larry
lpg

Postby samgreco on Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:53 am

If I could code, I would cetainly help, but I can't.

I truly understand the incredibly busy thing. Hope it's all good stuff.
samgreco

Postby lpg on Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:52 pm

I am setting it up so you can specify your own variables that you can stuff with any results you recieve from the device. You will also be able to execute a command based on the results.

Larry
lpg

Postby samgreco on Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 am

Now you're just teasing me :D
samgreco

Postby snopper on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 pm

This would be great. I am looking since a longer time already for a solution to steer my Rotel pre-amp through RS232.

Will the plugin be able to receive feedback messages through RS232 and hand these over to XLobby?

Regards
Snopper
snopper

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:49 am

Bump...just wondering how things are going with the rs232 plugin Larry???
sharp_1

Postby lpg on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Overall I have been very busy over the past month I am hoping to get back to it over the next few weeks. Sorry for the delay.

snopper wrote: Will the plugin be able to receive feedback messages through RS232 and hand these over to XLobby?

This is my intent. I will allow you to create your own variable that xlobby will see. You will then define what part of the return string from your device to put in the variable.

I updated the screen shots. I made the send and recieve textboxes for a command multiline. I found my smasung tv required multiple lines for one command. Each line will have a corresponding results line.
lpg

PreviousNext