Zoning help

Help each other out

Re: Zoning help

Postby bubba on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 pm

After some experimentation, I'm stumped. Winamp I believe is setup correctly. Outside of XLobby, I can start both instances and play two different songs at the same time (what a din, the speakers are side by side :shock: ). If I start XLobby only one instance of winamp loads. I've tried starting both instances outside of XLobby, then start XLobby, and one instance shuts down. Both are defined in the General tab of setup. Anyone got any ideas on what to try? By the way, I've also tried with another audio card, but no joy.
bubba

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:20 pm

bubba wrote:After some experimentation, I'm stumped. Winamp I believe is setup correctly. Outside of XLobby, I can start both instances and play two different songs at the same time (what a din, the speakers are side by side :shock: ). If I start XLobby only one instance of winamp loads. I've tried starting both instances outside of XLobby, then start XLobby, and one instance shuts down. Both are defined in the General tab of setup. Anyone got any ideas on what to try? By the way, I've also tried with another audio card, but no joy.

I know this was already mentioned...but you do have the "Always start as a server" under "Start XNET Server" under the XNet tab, right?

Is there anything showing under the "Who's on the network" box in the XNet tab?? It should show your Computer name with the zones under it...anything?

Also what version are you running....the date under the About tab?

Here are some of my screen caps that will hopefully help you out.

My winamps are setup here:

General tab:

XNet tab:

Hope that helps.
scottw

Postby bubba on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:43 am

I am running I think the newest version of freelobby, the build date is March 4, 2007. XNet is checked to always start. My folder structure is somewhat different than yours, Scott: E:\Xlobby\zones\gameroom\winamp\winamp.exe and E:\Xlobby\zones\livingroom\winamp\winamp.exe. I wouldn't think that would make much difference, though. The "Who's on the network" only ever shows 'gameroom', and I'm assuming that's because I can only get one zone to show up at a time.

The "Repeaterbackyard.exe" on your setup, is that the Virtual Audio Cable you mentioned before?

I'll experiment some more tomorrow. I thought it was a hardware issue until I tried running two instances of Winamp outside of XLobby and it worked. So it's got to be something trivial that I'm missing (hope so, anyway). Well, since I only want four zones, and Marbles_00 setup only uses one card for four zones, that may be the way to go for me. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Thanks.
Ricky

Edit: The "Who's on the network" shows gameroom with the current zone: winamp version 1.x underneath. I'm assuming it shows gameroom because that's where the full install is? How do you get your zones to show up as 'Music_Player_1" etc.?
bubba

Postby scottw on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:03 am

AHHHHH.....got it!!!!!!

Kill the Winamp folder, right now you have E:\Xlobby\zones\livingroom\winamp\winamp.exe make it: E:\Xlobby\zones\livingroom\winamp.exe

It's reading Winamp (folder) as the zone....which is the same on each one.

Let me know.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:08 am

Yeah, I was just about to say, don't go so deep in the directories...but I think your right...it will look at the winamp and try and use that name twice...which won't work. Move all your contents from the livingroom/winamp to livingroom and gameroom/winamp to gameroom.

Scott your too quick.

How do you get your zones to show up as 'Music_Player_1"

It uses his directory structure to name the zone....as he mentioned above, your situation, your trying to get two zones but they are both named winamp to how Xlobby sees them. I guess Stephen wrote the software to look up one level in directories to get the name.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:12 am

bubba wrote:I am running I think the newest version of freelobby, the build date is March 4, 2007. XNet is checked to always start. My folder structure is somewhat different than yours, Scott: E:\Xlobby\zones\gameroom\winamp\winamp.exe and E:\Xlobby\zones\livingroom\winamp\winamp.exe. I wouldn't think that would make much difference, though. The "Who's on the network" only ever shows 'gameroom', and I'm assuming that's because I can only get one zone to show up at a time.

That should be the latest version.

bubba wrote:The "Repeaterbackyard.exe" on your setup, is that the Virtual Audio Cable you mentioned before?

Yeah that is for the Virtual Audio Cables.

bubba wrote:Well, since I only want four zones, and Marbles_00 setup only uses one card for four zones, that may be the way to go for me. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

You say 4 zones but you wont be able to stop there :lol:
scottw

Postby scottw on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:14 am

It uses his directory structure to name the zone....as he mentioned above, your situation, your trying to get two zones but they are both named winamp to how Xlobby sees them. I guess Stephen wrote the software to look up one level in directories to get the name.

I made the same mistake earlier on in my setup...took me few hours to figure it out...very frustrating.
scottw

Postby bubba on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 pm

Eureka, that was it Scottw and Marbles_00. I took winamp out of the folder structure and immediately got both zones. Thanks a lot. Now the bad news...When I assign the first output to the output plugin, it's fine. But when I assign the output plugin for the next instance of winamp, the first instance changes as well. If I leave the first instance open and playing a song while I do the second, it works. But when I shut them down, they both revert back to the same output. :(

I have tried renaming the plugin (even though that's 'old school' :lol: ), but then I get an error message stating it can't find the output plugin. I've also tried using the waveout plugin with the same results.

On a brighter note, my touchscreen came today. Xlobby on touchscreen is really, really cool!!

Anyway, got any other ideas?
bubba

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 pm

What version of winamp are you running now? Did you try a version 2 copy or an earlier version 5?

You are closing the instance after you set the plugin output before opening the other instances?

*EDIT*
I just downloaded the latest, and I think that is your problem. Using two instances seem to now share the same plugin directory. Now maybe there might be something in the preferences, or the winamp.ini file that you can set to look at a different plugin directory...or as I said above, download a late version 2 (2.94 or 2.95) or early version 5 (I've used 5.08 without issue).

*EDIT2*
Though I didn't have the same issue as you, and was able to change the second instance out_ds.dll to out_ds2.dll. The second winamp saw that now problems (no errors) and I was able to now configure two seperate outputs. Though, for all the hassle, I'd just use the earlier versions.
Marbles_00

Postby bubba on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 pm

I should have just followed your advice before, Marbles_00, but sometimes I can be stubborn. I downloaded version 2.95 and all is good. :)

I am going to start studying you zoneskins now, so I must warn you before hand that you may get tired of me asking questions. :? I want to follow your lead with the kX Drivers, but I would like to create my own skin. I know skinning has a steep learning curve, so this is probably going to take me a while.

Thanks again, and also to Scottw, for your help. I would have never figured all this out on my own.

Ricky
bubba

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 pm

Glad you got some of the fundamentals going now.

Two things of advice I try an tell everyone who wants to take on this project....I will admit, it is a pretty exhausting project to take on. But as Scott has mentioned too...one well worth taking when everything is up and running and the closest critic besides yourself, looks at you, and says that it is pretty cool.

1) Learn and get comfortable with the KX DSP (once you have a card to play with). Read my document called KX DSP for Xlobby, as I try and explain as easily as possible the different modules and how to configure them. I will be doing an update of that document soon...to add a few new things and clean up the pictures.

2) Look at and learn how to do the PervTalk .ini files (I call them dafault3 and 4 in ZoneSkin4...ZS5 they will be called default5 and 6). I tried as best as possible to take the KxD forum posts and explain it in easy terms in the Zoneskin4 manual and I'm trying again in ZS5 since I took a slightly different approach on how everything behaves. I found trying to follow that forum post in the plugin section can be pretty difficult at the best of times.

Everything else is just really skinning.

Have fun.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:30 am

Glad it is working for you and feel free to ask any question you need answered.

For me personally it's easier to grab someone elses skin and modify it for myself...my current skin is modified from one posted here, but I also don't have must artistic ability as you can see from my skin :lol:
I found the most about XL by dissecting other skins. I am not trying to discourage you from making your own but if you run into trouble don't hesitate to download one and switch back and forth to get yours working. The zoneskins are a good source of info...they are VERY well documented.

Oh and one more thing...post screen shots of your skin. Other get ideas from for their own skins from yours :D
scottw

Postby bubba on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:15 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll keep you posted.
bubba

Postby bubba on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Damn, I cannot believe it was March of last year when I asked you guys for help. Time really does fly. I just wanted to let ya'll know how things have worked out. I've created my own skin with 4 zones, controlled by a wall mounted touch screen in the living room. The server is hidden in a closet down the hall. The WOW factor is great with all guests.

And I want to give a really big round of applause to Marbles_00 and P3rvB3ar. The way the two of you implemented zoning is absolutely brilliant. I mean ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!! Great job.

Still tweaking, but enjoying the hell out of it. Thanks.
bubba

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Havent been here for a while... but its extremely nice to stumble upon this kinda post. Glad u got system working with wow-factor, and nice to hear my little piece of glue is approciated, however real geniouses here, beside Marb, are ofcourse our own Steven and Eugene over kX, i just had a pleasure to do 1+1.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Previous