Does Xlobby actually work?

Speak your mind

Does Xlobby actually work?

Postby robuk on Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:55 am

hi everyone,

Hello, I am a newbie and have been experimenting with Xlobby. I can see the potetial power of the system but I don't know if it is just me - most of it doesn't seem to be actually finished or work! Does anyone actually have a fully working xlobby implementation?

Robin
robuk

Postby ukbubs on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:47 am

Welcome to xlobby!

There is a learning curve for sure - it doesn't work straight out of the box. The bonus is that you can make it do just about anything you want.

Apart from the lack of a pvr plugin (one is coming), other functions should all work once you've configured them.

A lot of guidance is lurking in threads, so I suggest you trawl around. Plenty of help available in response to specific questions :D
ukbubs

Postby Aaron on Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:49 pm

robuk,

All I can say is DON'T BUY XLOBBY

don't spend a penny of hard earned money on XLobby...

Oh wait... it is free.

Hmm... I changed my mind. It is a TOTAL BARGAIN!

Just kidding...

Flat out, XLobby is great and it is still a baby.
It is definitely not finished that is true.

I've been using several packages/combos and I've decided to move away from my previous favorite, NetRemote/HomeSeer, to XLobby as long as it continure to improve in the way I need it to and incorporate HD PVR functionaity (probably through a plug-in with another app).

The other way I will look at is Meedio. It looks really nice too but it is too early to tell.

For now I'm with XLobby.
Aaron

Postby Tracie on Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:32 pm

Affini,
LOL, that's awesome.

robuk,
You have to remember that not only is this software free, but it's an Alpha, so of course it's not even close to finished. But to anwser your question, yes, there are quite a lot of us that have "a fully working Xlobby implementation" insofar as what we need.

I think you'll find people much more open to giving help if you give specifics as to the problems that you're having.
Tracie

Postby Arthur on Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:49 pm

Not finished? alpha version? o yeah, now I remember. Ofcourse, new features can and will be added. However, I'm using it as "normal" home electronics (touchscren in livingroom), it has completly eplaced my radio and cd player and it is very good. It is stable and it does the job. I don't use it for films (yet) but that's my peronal choice

Arthur
Arthur

Postby antipasto on Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:24 am

you can take xlobby as far as you want to go with it... it may seem cumbersome at first, but the nature of it provides great flexibility of features, and design
antipasto

Postby jmv on Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:59 pm

I would say that Xlobby is "finished" as a DVD frontend (I have been using it for over a year as my main HT system via remote). The wife and the babysitters can use it after 1 min of instructions. I had to customize the skin and write the GML for Girder, and program the Pronto remote, but Xlobby has performed flawlessly in this application ever since. About 3 months ago, I set it up using a touch screen in the kitchen and it now controls my distributed audio to 3 zones too. Again working really well (syncing is still problematic, choosing music for each zone isn't as clean as I would like) but if Xlobby stopped maturing today (Steven don't!) it still works in this application too.

Xlobby requires user customization but it can also be setup and forgotten as I have done in the DVD centric HT. Also, if you run into a serious bug, Steven is always on top of it either same day or in a couple days...that has happened to me personally 2 or 3 times over my >1yr experience using Xlobby.

mv
jmv