XML Database on DVD

Got an idea, post it here

XML Database on DVD

Postby Myth on Mon May 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi ,

Is it possible to link to a database (eg TVSeries_On_DVD.xml ) residing on a DVD.

What I'm thinking is that I put in a DVD with a TV series on it, then select the View TV Series ON DVD page and it looks up the XML database on the DVD.

thanks
Myth
Myth

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 01, 2006 3:26 pm

i've never tried this, but it could work a few different way probably.

One the most likely easiest ways would be to set up an autoplay type event that when a disc inserted with a TVSeries_On_DVD.xml or whatever xml file on it, that it loads a screen that uses that database. Only problem is, you can't make a database on a screen point to a database somewhere outside the xlobby folder or skins folder.

You could pretty easily set up some sort of batch file or script to copy the xml into the correct xlobby or skins folder. However I xlobby caches the databases when it loads.

So the only way I could see doing it right now is to have a copy of each unique xml like TVSeries_On_DVD_001.xml ..... TVSeries_On_DVD_002.xml and etc, in the correct xlobby folder ahead of time. Then make a variable that does a "set database" to the correct database it needs to load.

Hope that makes sense..
jowaldo

Postby Myth on Wed May 03, 2006 7:30 am

Yes, that would work, I do that now (using a slightly modied version of your skin) to load a Kidz Movie database then change back to the complete database. Unfortunately this would need the TV Series page pre-set up with all the dvd's, which sort of defeats my purpose :(

never mind
Myth
Myth

Postby m_masta on Sat May 06, 2006 11:05 pm

jowaldo wrote:i've never tried this, but it could work a few different way probably.

One the most likely easiest ways would be to set up an autoplay type event that when a disc inserted with a TVSeries_On_DVD.xml or whatever xml file on it, that it loads a screen that uses that database. Only problem is, you can't make a database on a screen point to a database somewhere outside the xlobby folder or skins folder.

You could pretty easily set up some sort of batch file or script to copy the xml into the correct xlobby or skins folder. However I xlobby caches the databases when it loads.

If you create a batch file, that will be called on DVD insert, to copy the xml file from the DVD, to a placeholder xml file in database folder. and then refresh the category that points to that database, shouldn't it update to the newly copied database?
All you would have to do in the "misc" tab, is create a autoplay for "xml" type, and assign an even that would call the batch file.
I thought that's how the "oncdaudio", that allows to get coverart and cddb info from an inserted audio cd worked.

masta
m_masta