Master List of Plugins

xlobby docs (works in progress)

Master List of Plugins

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:58 pm

I've started a document of a list of plugins for Xlobby with a breif discription for each. Is there a spot, or someone, where/who I an upload the pdf file to?

It is a work in progress as I'm sure that I have missed some plugins, but could/would be an ideal document, or starting point for individuals both new and old to Xlobby.

Thanks.

David
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:01 pm

Great to hear that somebody lit the torch!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:28 pm

Cool, that is usefull, but I still think that for newbs, it would be best to

1) pack all plugins with the new installer
2) post them on the plugins page

Now, I'd be willing to re-pack 'em with installer but I suppose I'd need the author's permision?

D>
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:38 pm

dalanik wrote:
2) post them on the plugins page

I was actually thinking this on other day.... and i think there should be just one thread, where each post would present one plugin, no other posts. Also it should have some kind of formalism... Entries like:

NAME OF PLUGIN

veryshort description

- features descriped with ballots (french lines) what the heck theyre called
- another feature
- etc

link to plugins own thread for more throrough discussion
link to download (preferably to package made with that new soft)

and screenshot mayby (if aplies)

How about if somebody starts thread like that... lets give authors one week to do entries for their plugin... and if they wont... lets do it on their behalf... (packing really might need permission though...)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lar282 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:51 pm

I don't wanna be rude, but why do u guys wanna another list when the XL site has a PLUGIN section?
http://www.xlobby.com/plugins

Isn't better to keep them there and ALWAYS have a brief description.
If we have a list and a site section then newbies are gonna be really confused.

Problem is who is gonna add them to the plugin section. My idea is that if u can write a plugin then u should have access rights to that section or just let a moderator add it there.

just my 2 cents....

//Lasse
lar282

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:54 pm

I think, only I was suggesting thread.... sure there is plugin section... and it works so goddamn great!!!

simple thread where everybody has rights to write, might just be better solution.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:06 pm

I agree on formalism, since now plugins thread is also used for posting questions, etc. But this could be hard to organize... I'd be happy to just have all of 'em on single page.

I even thought of putting all plugins I could find on my site, but my wife filled my 0.5 Gb room I have there with her (and kids) photos... :-)

I'll have to see how much additional 0.5 Gb costs :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:14 pm

Not to mention, not all the plugins are on the plugin page. I've counted 45 plugins listed in my document so far...and counting.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:34 pm

dalanik wrote:I agree on formalism, since now plugins thread is also used for posting questions, etc. But this could be hard to organize... I'd be happy to just have all of 'em on single page.

Single page is fine if we find somebody who will be responsible of it, and since mr. Marbles has it pretty much ready, hopefully he can volunteer :)

thread was just suggestion incase theres nobody who wants to take responsibility, fact that everybody could post might have kept it update... allthought it would have to be heavily moderated.

Only thing what is clear, is that current solution seems not be working.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby abobader on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:20 pm

No harm on doing so, in fact it will be a good idea.

Sure they are plugin section and I agree on some points here, but as I said, good idea.

Marbles: Can you as well put link to them as well if that possible.

Thanks Marbles for doing this.

My best.
abobader

Postby dalanik on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:19 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Not to mention, not all the plugins are on the plugin page. I've counted 45 plugins listed in my document so far...and counting.

...and somebody should at least remove the "Test" icon from the plugins page :-)
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:22 pm

abobader,
Yeah, I was going to do that. I just wanted to get the bulk of the document uploaded to the Xlobby server so all could view. I was going to still go through it and update for links. I was even considering downloading all the plugins...like dalanik had mentioned, and somehow distribute them via ftp or something...not sure yet.

The big problem I see, is that people don't know who to go to, so the plugins can be uploaded to the Xlobby server. So they put their own links for download...which eventually, for some reason or another die...and someones hard work is now gone. It would also be easier for an individual to attain a plugin they want, if it is easy to find...instead of looking through endless forum posts.

That was the initial intent of the document, to list the plugins and give the beginner an idea of what's available (it was inspired by a recent post from a newbie). I didn't realize that it would spark this much interest.

To dalanik,
Couldn't agree more about the "Test"....What the $%#* :?:
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:03 am

dalanik wrote:
...and somebody should at least remove the "Test" icon from the plugins page :-)

Amen to that!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dgemily on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:18 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
dalanik wrote:

Amen to that!

Only steven or jowaldo can delete or modify this post : http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22779#22779

If you need, I can upload whatever you want on the server, I already did it for some of you guys, but I have access only to the French part, so everything will go there, it’s up to you guys… and I can also create a new thread to put your plugins on the plugin web page, just contact me dgemilyAxlobby-france.com

dalanik wrote:1) pack all plugins with the new installer

For the installer (archiver), TheLynx from the French team, is doing an update of it : ( adding the possibility to install font files with the plugin etc….) so maybe wait a little bit..

Marbles, I suppose that you already seen this thread Releases from the French team ? . I trying to keep it up to date with applications/tools/plugins that can interest you (you= english speaking guys)...

later
dgemily

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:02 pm

dgemily,

I remember seeing that post a while back...thanks for reminding me about it. I will go through that list and update the plugins that I have missed. Once I add the links, I will most likely forward you the doc to upload. Getting info onto the French server is just as good as the Xlobby server in my eyes.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Best of luck this Sunday (WC2006) :wink:
Marbles_00

Next