New BS thread -- for wannabe postwhores

Speak your mind

Re: New BS thread -- for wannabe postwhores

Postby CiXel on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:13 am

I think it's kind of an interesting time.
I think the majority of freelobbyers have their systems pretty much up and running. New users haven't really been able to get their hands on a copy and dig in, as they probably don't want to invest their time and resources into a system that they don't even know how much it will end up costing money wise. I can't blame them. I mean, I've played around on the new Beta, but I had to revert when one expired on me bringing down the WAF. I'm looking forward to what the New XL will bring to us and installers, but there is much uncertainty for us, the casual users. There is no platform I know of that has the ease of customization. We've all embraced that. It would be interesting to know how many people actually run a stock XL skin, or even downloaded one without modifying it. For heavier developers it's a difficult time too. The French team developed some amazing plugins, and now they don't even know if they will work on the new platform.
I guess if it's stagnant around here, it because well, while Steven and Wes are hard at work implementing the next generation internally, there's not much going on.
I wonder if more people would have stuck around and helped to ride this out if it was said Hey, why don't you give us $100 now, and as we develop we'll give you a code to unlock your future versions. And for that upfront, people wouldn't have to worry all these months with the constant questions and threads of HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST? It's a great idea to offer these beta's for free, but I wouldn't be surprised if the uncertainty soured some.
It's very cool for Steven that he was able to find an outlet for his software that is took soo much time to develop, but it's turning into a different beast. I'm sure once this is released and installers get their hands on it, this forum will be brimming again with all sorts of buzz as to what they can do for their clients and how they can accomplish things. In the interim I'll keep coming back, especially with Cedia over, to see if we've finally got some indication as to what this might this might cost to keep going monetarily so I can then figure out if it's worth my time investment. I guess either way it's a time investment either way, but there are more factors. There were many innovators that passed through these forums, and it's been built up again from a few hackings. I guess we'll see that new guard roll in soon enough.

Ok. I'm done rambling.
Did that pass some time? ;)
CiXel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:42 am

Guys, Im very very very happy right now... just ran first test with two first hacks needed to pull off the core revolutionizing piece of code ive been planning. And those two work as slick as baby oil coated :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: up in babes 8) 8) 8) 8).

Theres still two more hacks needed, before i can for certain say i can pull the plans trough and before i will start serious teasing about subject, but right now im ready to raise changes of pulling this trough to 30%

Thank u Steven for being just like 95% of rest of us coders... not preparing too anally for situations when users do something theyre not suposed to, that makes our core expanding efforts possible!!!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Damn it, second round of hacks seems to be bit tougher... and i also discovered a side-effect caused by firsts, which i have to investigate... But im not throwing towel just yet, hell it would be naïve not to expect some challenges...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby defrag on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:48 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Damn it, second round of hacks seems to be bit tougher... and i also discovered a side-effect caused by firsts, which i have to investigate... But im not throwing towel just yet, hell it would be naïve not to expect some challenges...

In the words of Rolf Harris "can yah tell what it is yet?" :D (appologies if you do not know who Rolf Harris is - google it)
defrag

Postby jowaldo on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:22 pm

I know I'm MIA lately.. I've been makin a ppc only skin lately
jowaldo

Postby rika on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:34 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:I htink they got Rika too... thats why we've not been seeing any new pretty skins from him :wink:

I´m just waiting for the new skin engine before i realease...:wink:

Rika
rika

Postby jowaldo on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:44 pm

rika wrote:
P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:I htink they got Rika too... thats why we've not been seeing any new pretty skins from him :wink:

I´m just waiting for the new skin engine before i realease...:wink:

Rika

yeah... why work a ton on it, if its changin as much as it sounds like it will
jowaldo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Looks like our moderator is just about to join 1K club... way to go!!!! :D

He'll be our fifth member if im not terribly mistaken?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jowaldo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:57 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Looks like our moderator is just about to join 1K club... way to go!!!! :D

He'll be our fifth member if im not terribly mistaken?

almost there... I know I have quite a bit more than 1000 tho... the post counts have been trimmed quite a few times over the years with different upgrades and etc
jowaldo

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:06 pm

I know I have quite a bit more than 1000 tho... the post counts have been trimmed quite a few times over the years with different upgrades and etc

Oh God...whew...that's good to here...I thought I was a complete post junkie :shock:
Marbles_00

Postby jowaldo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:28 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:
I know I have quite a bit more than 1000 tho... the post counts have been trimmed quite a few times over the years with different upgrades and etc

Oh God...whew...that's good to here...I thought I was a complete post junkie :shock:

;) I think I've been following xlobby since 2002 :shock:

Doesn't seem that long lookin back
jowaldo

Postby defrag on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:43 pm

jowaldo wrote:;) I think I've been following xlobby since 2002 :shock:

I have images of a dust-ladened mouse mat - :lol:

jowaldo, you and the other "old-timers" (and I use that as a compliment) have been guiding lights with all the hard work you put in with complete skins etc. I know my latest skin would not have ever got off the ground if it wasn't for you, colby and baddabing.

That said, times are a moving on, we are moving into a new era of which we have no real knowledge of what it's going to be. In the mean time, I'll still soldier on cos I enjoy it and I can still get one mother of a media centre with what I've got.
defrag

Postby jowaldo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:48 pm

defrag wrote:
jowaldo wrote:;) I think I've been following xlobby since 2002 :shock:

I have images of a dust-ladened mouse mat - :lol:

jowaldo, you and the other "old-timers" (and I use that as a compliment) have been guiding lights with all the hard work you put in with complete skins etc. I know my latest skin would not have ever got off the ground if it wasn't for you, colby and baddabing.

That said, times are a moving on, we are moving into a new era of which we have no real knowledge of what it's going to be. In the mean time, I'll still soldier on cos I enjoy it and I can still get one mother of a media centre with what I've got.

Thanks for the good words... and yeah it will be interesting to see how all of this pans out
jowaldo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Ok ok hacks are all done. There is one minor side effect though... but im already having idea how to hide it thanks for m_ski. Now that hacks are all done rest is just design work and hard manual labor, nothing can go wrong there, however im only giving me 95% change to complete this cause, allthough im certain i can make it, but theres always question will end result run fast enough.

And then some more teasing:

Right now im for first time beholding xl buttons moving on my screen!

When this update is included into xPerT screens wont be called screens anymore but replaced by concepts called stages, scenes and reels. Yeah i am taking freelobby to 4th dimension, flash-style! 8)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:51 pm

Finally getting back coding preview of my core upgrade, beated big bad bugs, and speed of atleast one moving xlobby element looks promising, havent yet done multielement tests though.

In midst of all trial and error aproach, i accidently stumble into a way to flip xlobby-element (button, cat, text, whatever), that is to make it as mirror image of itself at fly. But i really fail to see practical uses for this kinda command... So i was thinking to ask u guys... does anybody have use or can imagine a use for Mirror>elementID type of command? Cause i can implement it if needed... but i wouldnt bother implementing something useless...

Note that by xlobby-element im not just talking about xPerT-elements, that would ofcourse be trivial, but all xlobby-elements (whether core or any plugin).
P3rv3rt B3ar

PreviousNext