Audio Lan Stream

Speak your mind

Audio Lan Stream

Postby rorsdors on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:59 am

This will probably sound strange, but what i am trying to do is run Xlobby on my main PC and get audio out of a wireless LAN'd PC. The main PC is remotely operated by an airpanel, the remote PC has no display , its just a small box (mini-itx). The reason for this is that the remote PC is not powerful enough to run Xlobby properly.

I can do it using Shoutcast being served from the main PC, but i get lag and I don't want to recompress the MP3's. I have heard Icecast will serve without recompression, but its proving impossible to get going.

Anyone got any ideas?
rorsdors

Postby hjackson on Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:18 am

Use the audio LAN PC as the Xlobby server and the main PC as the Xlobby fat client.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby rorsdors on Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:19 am

But that plays on the main PC, I need the music at the LAN PC :(
rorsdors

Postby rorsdors on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:29 pm

Just found this
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=143259
Appears to do the job :D
rorsdors

Postby dgemily on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:45 pm

rorsdors wrote:Just found this
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=143259
Appears to do the job :D

can't understand, use xnet+audio zones... it is the same....

rorsdors wrote:But that plays on the main PC, I need the music at the LAN PC :(

you can control and play on each pc that you want....

the only thing that you have to do, is to start your xlobby as xlobby server xnet and on your pc lan, install xlobby configure the player that you want to use ( winamp or foobar) then connect it as client ( section xnet).
dgemily

Postby rorsdors on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:34 pm

Use the plyer as server and client? - I am lost now
Heres what I am trying to achieve - the main PC must do all the work, the player is way too slow to operate the databases and graphics

rorsdors

Postby dgemily on Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:01 pm

What I understand is that your player pc is not enough powerfull to run xlobby+foobar or winamp, is it right ?
if yes, ok I understand why you try to find an other way.... like the winamp plugin....
dgemily

Postby hjackson on Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:52 pm

"But that plays on the main PC, I need the music at the LAN PC"

No. If the Main PC is a fat client and the LAN PC is the server, then the music will be played on the LAN PC (the server PC) and the controls will be on the fat client (the Main PC). If you use the Main PC as a thin client, then you would still have the music played at the LAN PC, but all your other Xlobby functions (ie DVD, IR signals from USBUIRT) would also occur at the LAN PC. Using the fat client allows you to keep all your Xlobby events at the fat client PC EXCEPT for music.
Good luck.

hjackson
hjackson