Anyone use a T-Amp?

Speak your mind

Anyone use a T-Amp?

Postby summerall on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:23 am

I'm looking for some other options to power speakers for a xlobby setup. Since the cheap 6 channel amp on ebay seems to be history I looked at this product.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

It's called the t-amp, has anyone used it? Got any other recommendations?
summerall

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:18 am

I haven't personally used them, but read up on them. They would most likely be okay for driving zone speakers in small rooms. Their power rating is really low at 9W@4ohms/6W@8ohms. Yeah you can push 15W@4ohms, but at 10%THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), you would only be able to listen for a very short while, or it would give you a headache. I would say to pair them up with a speaker that has a high sensitivity rating...well over 90dB. That way it won't take alot to actually push the speaker. 6W...not alot to play with.

Other than that, I've only heard good reviews of those amps. Those Tripath chips are pretty solid. And you can always find sites to mod them which may enable you to push the little beast that much further.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:20 pm

I looked at these before the ebay amps came up and was thinking about getting a few. The price seemed good I just did not like the idea of having to buy 1 for each zone and then to have a power brick for each one. Also for my setup which would eventually be 6 zones, where I was going to put 6 of these things.

Other than that after reading about them on AVSforum they look pretty good.
scottw

Postby smata67 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:44 pm

I gave one a shot a while back. They have no bass out of the box. I think they are overrated, the 6champ is a million times better. I attempted the mod and ended in disaster and gave up on it, too many other things to do. Apparently if you increase the capacitance of the input caps by adding 2- 2.2uF or so caps, the bass is greatly improved. You will need specialized soldering equipment, a very very fine tip. My standard Weller WESD51 chisel 1/32" was too big. The pictures you see on the net are nothing like what you see when you open it up, everything is TINY surface mount stuff, some components the size of a pinhead and break off easily, be careful. Definitely will need a magnifying lamp. I accidently broke a few devices off the board (my fault entirely). You want to run tiny wire (ie stripped from CAT5 cable or smaller) to the cap solder points and locate your caps off board. There is also a power supply cap that should be increased, this looked easy. Certainly do-able, but you will need the right equipment and a good deal of patience.
smata67

Postby rembetis on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 pm

Zapco amp still available here.
rembetis

Postby scottw on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:08 pm

Would not hurt just to email the seller and tell him if he has any more that you will give him $50 for it, since he had done away with the buy it now. He is responsive thru email.

EDIT: looks like last time he got close to $60, still worth it if you ask me.
scottw