xlobby2sd speed and button response

Got an idea, post it here

xlobby2sd speed and button response

Postby Vince_B on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:16 am

has become an issue while working on the usb-uirt and volume control in particular. there've been a couple of threads that have talked about the need for button repeats etc., but I'm not sure that's necessary. I'm happy with the volume on the nav up/down or other hard keys which allows you to take advantage of the hard button repeats. The problem is that the delay is large enough for each repeat to register at the server that if I hold down the button as though I'm going to raise the volume real-time XL will continue to blip out IR for awhile longer, and I actually have to sit there and keep turning the volume down or it will max out several times over :shock:

I've got my access point right there to be sure network latency is minimized, is there anything that can be done to optimize the ppc client response time?
Vince_B

Postby jowaldo on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:56 am

you could lower the quality setting and see if that helps...
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:57 am

you could lower the quality setting and see if that helps...
jowaldo

Postby Vince_B on Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:37 am

It's marginally faster, here's a couple of examples...

With quality set to 10%, if I hold the button for 5 seconds, the volume will make about 5 or 6 steps in that time, and continue to send IR for another 8 to 10 seconds.

At 100%, the volume takes about 4 steps in the 5 seconds, and continues to transmit for about 10 or 11 seconds after releasing it.
Vince_B

Postby jowaldo on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:56 pm

Do you have wep turned on? I used to have it on, but once I turned it off it really sped it up for me on my ppc. WEP takes a lot of overhead, especially on a ppc, and even more so if its not a newer/fast one.
jowaldo

Postby Vince_B on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:49 pm

No, it's open system. It's an axim x50v too, so speed should be as good as it gets.
Vince_B

Postby jowaldo on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:25 pm

How is the speed of the host machine? I remember someone having speed issues because the resolution of each piece of coverart taking a while to load. Even if the machine is fast, if the coverart is huge regardless of the size it is being displayed at, it can make the server and client run extra slow. Because every time you click the screen the server re-renders the screen for the client then sends it, even if the screen isn't really changing.
jowaldo

Postby Vince_B on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:39 am

The server is good to go :)

I wonder if the screen gets drawn when using the hard buttons? That would explain it and it might be able to be changed. I plan on having the volume exclusively on the hard buttons ultimately since I like a vol button I can find without looking. Thanks for your input and ideas Jowaldo,
Vince
Vince_B