could two different xlob servers pull stuff off the same NAS

Speak your mind

could two different xlob servers pull stuff off the same NAS

Postby oreoboy13 on Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:21 pm

Only really starting to understand xlobby so sorry if this is a dumb question....

I am going to setup a multizone audio system using xlobby, however i also want a hi quality hcpc for music and films in my sitting room, both to be controlled via a PPC. I thought it would be easier to keep them seperate and run two different xlobby servers.

This would mean building a 2TB raid 5 NAS, would both the servers be able to pull stuff of the NAS at the same time.

thanks for any help.
oreoboy13

Postby mattdisaster on Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:25 pm

I don't see why not, the ony thing would be to make sure they dont reach for the same file at the same time. That could be just as bad as crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. heh. Steven would know the entire answer to this, maybe he might be able to come up with a precaution to this. Who knows. Good luck!

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby rhinoman on Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:44 pm

In my tests this would seem to be fine, no problems with multiple streams being pulled form the storage, writing makes them hiccup though.
rhinoman

Postby jowaldo on Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:45 pm

Yeah to machines pulling the same files at the same time shouldn't be a problem, unless they are making any changes to it at the same time, which it sounds like in your situation they wouldn't.
jowaldo