Same album different CD

Got an idea, post it here

Same album different CD

Postby Colby on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:32 pm

I dont think it is possible as of yet, but I would really really like it if Xlobby could handle my box set albums better. Right now I have all my music in album view, (meaning every album aka cd is a thumbnail in the category.) This is generally fine except where I have box sets or multidisk cds. Take for instance my best of 1980s cd set, it is 8 disks. In the category there are 8 thumbnails of the same coverart all refering to different track lists, yet the album name is the same. The only difference is whether it is disk 1, 2, 3 or whatever.

I propose there be a way of managing box sets better. Some ideas may include:

- An event for next box album where it takes you to the next cd of the same album.

- A variable to display cd 1 of 8.

- An import type where boxed or multidisk cds can have a semi directory structure, such as another level under the album tree in the db.

- A checkbox to specify if an album is a box album or single. (this would add the next level in the database editor).

I guess Ideally I want to click an album in the category (where its only listed once) and in the music details screen I see a button that says next cd and Disk 1 of 8. When I click next cd I get details of that cd.

Is this possible? And who else would want this?
Colby

Postby rhinoman on Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:40 pm

I think thats a good idea.
rhinoman

Re: Same album different CD

Postby joeb on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:47 am

Colby wrote:I dont think it is possible as of yet, but I would really really like it if Xlobby could handle my box set albums better. Right now I have all my music in album view, (meaning every album aka cd is a thumbnail in the category.) This is generally fine except where I have box sets or multidisk cds. Take for instance my best of 1980s cd set, it is 8 disks. In the category there are 8 thumbnails of the same coverart all refering to different track lists, yet the album name is the same. The only difference is whether it is disk 1, 2, 3 or whatever.

I propose there be a way of managing box sets better. Some ideas may include:

- An event for next box album where it takes you to the next cd of the same album.

- A variable to display cd 1 of 8.

- An import type where boxed or multidisk cds can have a semi directory structure, such as another level under the album tree in the db.

- A checkbox to specify if an album is a box album or single. (this would add the next level in the database editor).

I guess Ideally I want to click an album in the category (where its only listed once) and in the music details screen I see a button that says next cd and Disk 1 of 8. When I click next cd I get details of that cd.

Is this possible? And who else would want this?

Colby,

The way I handle these is to edit the tags on the files, to make the track #s sequential, all with the same artist/album name, and edit the .m3u files to list all the tracks in order. You'll also need to put all the tracks in the same directory. That way, I have 1 image, with all of the tracks in order. For an 8-disc box set, that may be a lot of pages of tracks, but most of my box sets are 2-3 discs...

For classical box sets, I rip each piece as a separate "album", (e.g Beethovens 4th Symphony, etc...) and handle with a separate db/category
joeb