Multizone Amplifier Question

Speak your mind

Multizone Amplifier Question

Postby scottw on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:00 pm

I am trying to setup multizone audio in my house, atleast 3 zones. Now I know how to setup the multiple soundcards and have that working, my problem is outputting to non-powered speakers, ceiling mounted speakers. I know I need either an amplifier or a "amplified soundcard(s)" like the Griffin Powerwaves.
I want to go as cheap as I can and with atleast 3 zones the powerwaves will cost me around $300. if I can get them. What kind of amp could I get for fairly cheap?

Also I am not really sure how the amp works. From my knowledge before I thought your inputs outputted to ALL outputs. Do they make amps where this is selectable because this would be needed for multizone, right??

Pardon my ignorance, I just need a little direction :D
scottw

Postby btrcp2000 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:18 pm

i'm going down the same path, here's a discussion from a while back with some thoughts. good luck!

http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3560&highlight=
btrcp2000

Postby scottw on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:38 am

Thanks that helps. So I guess when someone says 12 channel amp, that means you could get 6 zones (each channel is a left or right) and each input goes to 1 output, right???

Someone correct me please if I have that wrong.

Thanks,
Scott
scottw

Postby hjackson on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:46 am

You are correct. I have used the PowerWaves and now also use a 12 channel amp. The problem with the PowerWaves is that they sometimes fail, and I am not sure if it is due to the PC losing USB power or the actual devices shorting out or what. For the most part PowerWaves were very satisfying, but my 12 channel amp is relatively cheap and gives me great power. As well, they have foolishly seemed to stop making PowerWaves (the very reason I bought the amp was that I was ready to sxpand my listening zones but couldn't buy any more). Comparitively, 6 PowerWaves or the MA-1235 12-Channel Amplifier are both $600 but the 12 channel amp gives you more power.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby scottw on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:16 am

Thanks Hjackson.

Do you just leave the amp on all the time???

When you send audio thru a certain zone in XL does anything have to be done on the amp or does it just pass the audio thru the right output, provided the amp is on.

Thanks for the info,
Scott
scottw

Postby btrcp2000 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:17 am

not to mention one wallwart as opposed to six, and it seems like it might be more energy efficient too, given the apparent ability to have it "standby" until it has a signal. Am I right about that, hjackson? I don't own one yet, but probably wll at some point.
btrcp2000

Postby hjackson on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:36 am

Both devices (12 Channel amp and PowerWave) are on standby until a signal comes through.

"When you send audio thru a certain zone in XL does anything have to be done on the amp or does it just pass the audio thru the right output, provided the amp is on."

The amp merely passes the audio through.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:53 am

If you don't mind getting your "hands dirty", you could build your own Gainclone (Google gainclone to see more) or equivalent. Built around a LM3875 or equivalent, they could output up to 50W for pretty cheap (9+ componenets per amp). Depending on the case used and the transformer(s) used, you can build them pretty cheap (thinking the case and transformer(s) are the most expensive part to the project).

On top of that, you have something to showoff to your friends about.

Just a thought.

David
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:02 pm

Thanks Hjackson, looks like I have to start saving up.

Marbles_00, sounds good but a little much for me but thanks for posing it!!!
scottw