client question

Speak your mind

client question

Postby lar282 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:42 am

I always had one computer so I never looked at the Xnet, but maybe somebody can answer this one.

Main computer has all the mp3:s
computers are connected through a LAN

IF I have a portable computer how can I play all the MP3:s on that from the main computer? Do I use zones,fat,thin skinny client or what? I don't wanna copy all the mp3:s to the portable and I am just interested in playing music and of cource using xlobby. To clarify, the music should come out from the speakers from the portable not the main computer.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby hjackson on Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:15 pm

You do not use Xnet for this. You do not even need Xlobby on the main PC for this. You would use the main computer as your file/media server. You would load an independent install of Xlobby on the portable computer. In the setup on the portable PC, you would add then import the destination folders of the music from your main PC. Now your portable PC will go to your main PC's music files to get it's music. Ofcourse both computers would have to be on your home network for this to work.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby lar282 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:22 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I will map 2 drives z & y and import all the music from there..

So what is Xnet?Do u have a minutes to explain for me?

//Lasse
lar282

Postby hjackson on Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:52 am

Xnet is the module that the Xlobby client/server system is based on. If you want to control Xlobby on your main PC from another PC (that essentially acts as a remote control) you use Xnet. There are 3 types of clients:
1) As a "thin client" with only the xlobby2sd.exe and servers.txt file loaded on it (this works on Windows PCs or PDA's with the Windows Pocket PC OS [but not Palm PDA's]), the client PC can control Xlobby on the main PC directly through your network
2) As a "fat client" a client PC that is running a full Xlobby program (the fact that it is running a full Xlobby program makes it "fat"), can control the Xlobby MUSIC PLAYERS (it can't control anything else...yet) on the main PC
3) As a "web client" any web browser (this would include Palm PDA's) can control Xlobby on the main PC, just like the "thin client"

hjackson
hjackson

Postby lar282 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:09 am

hjackson wrote:Xnet is the module that the Xlobby client/server system is based on. If you want to control Xlobby on your main PC from another PC (that essentially acts as a remote control) you use Xnet. There are 3 types of clients:

2) As a "fat client" a client PC that is running a full Xlobby program (the fact that it is running a full Xlobby program makes it "fat"), can control the Xlobby MUSIC PLAYERS (it can't control anything else...yet) on the main PC

hjackson

I thought the control music was that I could output the music somewhere else. That was my mistake.

thanks for the info

//Lasse
lar282