Can XLV2 support embedded buttons in music track category?

Help each other out

Can XLV2 support embedded buttons in music track category?

Postby Rab1967 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi

Wasn't sure where to post this one, in SKINS or in Support section, so I hope my guess to put it here gets good response.
I've been messing with XL version 2 for weeks now, with various different Skins and there is one thing that I really would like, but I'm not sure if V2 supports this.

In some of the skins I've seen, the music track details are showing three icons at the end of the track listing, Play, Add, Status. Like in Baddabing's recent Modern Metal Skin and the default V3 skin like below:

This to me is a much better way of using the Play and Add to playlist features as using the conventional method in most V2 skins seems to confuse my wife, so failure on the wifey test for V2 XL.

Can this embedding of buttons in track details list be done in Free Xlobby version 2, or was this a feature that was added in V3?

Rab fae Scotland.
Rab1967

Re: Can XLV2 support embedded buttons in music track category?

Postby S Pittaway on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:56 am

not sure but its easy to do the following
image.jpg

simply add multiple copies of the category you want and put hem next to each over )

i am on pay lobby but i still do it this way - i dont like the single row image on the new one.

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby scottw on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:34 pm

S Pittaway wrote:not sure but its easy to do the following
image.jpg

simply add multiple copies of the category you want and put hem next to each over )

i am on pay lobby but i still do it this way - i dont like the single row image on the new one.

Sean.

I am doing it on the free version just like Sean says.
scottw

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Hey everybody, it would be more help to everyone on the forum if you would post your xml so others can learn. Please try to make your replies to questions useful. Screenshots and "yes it can be done, cause I do it" answers do not help the XL community. Otherwise all the skinners and plug-in writers would simply post pictures of their work and stop posting the underlying code. :D
Last edited by BaddaBing on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaddaBing

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:46 pm

I said "add multiple copies of the category you want and put hem next to each over" the screeni was just to try and show what i meant.

I was to busy to post a real reply,but i hoped it would be enuff to get him going :)
S Pittaway

Postby scottw on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 pm

I am at work so have nothing to post and had to tinker around until I got it to work...and understand it :lol:

I will take a look when I get home if I have time and either post some more info or just give you my XML.
scottw

Postby scottw on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 am

Ok here is a screen cap:

Also my XML so you can get an idea of how it works.

All I did was click on the playlist cat....CTRL-C (for copy)...CTRL-V (Paste)..I named that cat playlist2 (not sure if you need to) and made is smaller and moved it over...repeat 2 more times.

Now the buttons gave me a lot of problems so here is what I did although it may not be the right way but it works for me. I got rid of the back layer on the 3 new playlist categories, I could not get the buttons to line up correctly if I had the buttons show up thru the category. I made and placed the buttons manually BEHIND the category, they have no events assigned to them. Since I got rid of the back layer in the category the buttons look like they are controlling everything but are just there for show. When a person clicks one of the buttons they are actually just clicking the category. I use this on a touchscreen with the thin client so I don't care if the buttons look like they are being pushed or not. I set the event for the 1st extra playlist cat to M3U-delete, the second for M3U-Up and so on.

I know I ramble on and don't explain thing properly. I know how to do it and what I am trying to say but have trouble typing it out :lol:

Hopefully with the pic and the XML you can figure it out. If you have any questions please let me know, I don't mind helping...I have been helped MANY times :D

Keep me posted
Attachments
music_playlist2.xml
(23.97 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
scottw

Postby BaddaBing on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks Scott! Nice how-to article.
BaddaBing

Postby scottw on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 am

BaddaBing wrote:Thanks Scott! Nice how-to article.

Thanks...as long as I explained it properly :lol: :lol: :lol:
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:44 am

Gees, not even released, and I'm already going to have to rev ZS5 :lol: Cool, thanks for the tips.
Marbles_00

Postby BaddaBing on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:50 am

If anyone want to look at how the multi-column categories are implemented you can download my Modern Metal for XLv2 here:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6784&p=48093#p48093

Here it is running under XLv2

BaddaBing

Postby scottw on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Gees, not even released, and I'm already going to have to rev ZS5 :lol: Cool, thanks for the tips.

Thanks!!!!

You can also do this for playing and queuing songs as shown by Baddabing....makes things much easier.
Although I was not the first to think of this...I got the idea from Sean (S Pittaway). Thanks Sean!!!!

Glad I was able to help. :D
scottw

Postby Rab1967 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks Baddabing,

Not only do you provide good advice, but I now have a cool SKIN that is closer to what I was looking for in the first place.
So am I right in saying that you can't actually embed the buttons in the track fields in XLv2, but what we are doing here is just using multiple displays of the same music details Category, but then configuring the display of each one to be different?

I haven't actually been able to align things correctly in Modern Metal v2 skin yet, as it looks as though the spacing setting needs to be manipulated somewhat to align icons with actual track listings, but hopefully I'll get there with a good play around.

.Rab fae Scotland
Rab1967

Postby scottw on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Rab1967 wrote:Thanks Baddabing,

Not only do you provide good advice, but I now have a cool SKIN that is closer to what I was looking for in the first place.
So am I right in saying that you can't actually embed the buttons in the track fields in XLv2, but what we are doing here is just using multiple displays of the same music details Category, but then configuring the display of each one to be different?

That is correct as far as I know.
Last edited by scottw on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottw

Postby BaddaBing on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:28 am

Look just a few posts up to the answer from Scott
This is the exact same way I do it

I haven't actually been able to align things correctly in Modern Metal v2 skin yet, as it looks as though the spacing setting needs to be manipulated somewhat to align icons with actual track listings, but hopefully I'll get there with a good play around.

Do it the other way around - instead of changing the spacing on the track listing move the queue/play/move buttons around - the buttons are individual objects that are underneath/behind the catagory columns. Hold down the shift key to select multiple objects and to use the vertical ditribute funtion under the default tab in the skinning engine.

Now let me ask you a question, what did you think of the skin installer? good-bad-indifferent? Any areas that need clarification? Thx!
BaddaBing

Next