Using Xlobby as core of a media client

Speak your mind

Using Xlobby as core of a media client

Postby danward79 on Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:08 pm

Hello...

I have a working HTPC, on this I have all my music ripped in ape's and Flac, I don't know which one to use yet. Flac seems to have a wider support in applications.

Anyway I want to create a Tiny pc, which will access the htpc / server for music and use the PPC as a remote. I plan to hook this up with some very discreet speakers for the bedroom, via either wifi or with eternet, probably the former since i will need it for the ppc.

I have several questions relating to xlobby and my needs. I would really apprieciate if you have any answers.

1. Is it possible to have xlobby setup on ppc and pc for music only with no other menu's? I.E I want the ppc to go straight to the music page.

2. Will xlobby run on windows 98? I plan to use a really stripped out version of windows 98 using litepc.

3. Will xlobby run with out the explorer shell?

4. Why can i not download skins on the download page?

5. Do you have any recommentdations?

6. Does xlobby support lcd's specifically lcdc?

So they are a few of my questions probably stupid to some of you but your answers will be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan
danward79

Re: Using Xlobby as core of a media client

Postby ThE ScReW on Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:48 pm

danward79 wrote:Hello...

I have a working HTPC, on this I have all my music ripped in ape's and Flac, I don't know which one to use yet. Flac seems to have a wider support in applications.

Anyway I want to create a Tiny pc, which will access the htpc / server for music and use the PPC as a remote. I plan to hook this up with some very discreet speakers for the bedroom, via either wifi or with eternet, probably the former since i will need it for the ppc.

I have several questions relating to xlobby and my needs. I would really apprieciate if you have any answers.

1. Is it possible to have xlobby setup on ppc and pc for music only with no other menu's? I.E I want the ppc to go straight to the music page.

2. Will xlobby run on windows 98? I plan to use a really stripped out version of windows 98 using litepc.

3. Will xlobby run with out the explorer shell?

4. Why can i not download skins on the download page?

5. Do you have any recommentdations?

6. Does xlobby support lcd's specifically lcdc?

So they are a few of my questions probably stupid to some of you but your answers will be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

1. yes, go to the editor, goto ppc music screen and click startup screen in the right top of the skin editor. Remove the startup screen in the ppc menu screen !

2.i also have that question : does it run on win98 and how? winupdate don't work, does xlobby client run without framework.net?

3. ...

4. They are old skins and they don't work on the new alpha ! New versions will be online soon ore check the skin forum in here !

5. .....

6. ....
ThE ScReW

Postby Roscoe62 on Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:10 am

For XLobby to run it MUST have the .NET framework. Therefore it won't work with WinME, Win98 or earlier OS's.

Win2000 is probably OK but I doubt NT would work. XP is your safest bet.

Cheers
Roscoe62

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:06 am

I want the ppc to go straight to the music page.

you will have to edit the "servers.txt" file for you client to change the start up screen for a client.

Does xlobby support lcd's specifically lcdc?

might be able to do something through girder and passing variables....or even passing variables to an external exe....farther than that you would have to tell me how this lcdc works.

Will xlobby run with out the explorer shell?

not sure....personally I havent tried it

You can download the framework from here....it does work on windows 98...i thinks roscoe was thinking of the SDK...which is for developers.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

The .NET Framework runs on:
Microsoft Windows® 98
Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0 (SP 6a required)
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me)
Microsoft Windows 2000 (SP2 Recommended)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
stevenhanna6

Postby danward79 on Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:26 pm

Hi

Cheers for the answers so far.

I think i will have to setup an experimental partition on my pc and try to see how much i can strip windows out, and still maintain the functionality i require.

When you are using a wifi connection for the ppc, is the responce of the ppc quick? The reason i ask is that as i do not have wifi, and at the moment still connected via usb, is it seems to lag a bit.

Is there anything i can do to speed it up?

Cheers

Dan
danward79

Postby mattdisaster on Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:28 pm

There was actually a program called xplite or somethign to made your install of winxp as basic as possible. I'll look for the link today.

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby danward79 on Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:31 pm

Hi

Yeah i know about that, it is from litepc.com

Dan
danward79

Postby mattdisaster on Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:32 pm

Oh you are good. I just found the link, have you tried it?

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby danward79 on Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:18 pm

yeah I tried it a while ago, it seems to work ok, but i though it did not slim xp down much, Mainly because you need alot for a htpc

Dan
danward79

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:13 am

When you are using a wifi connection for the ppc, is the responce of the ppc quick? The reason i ask is that as i do not have wifi, and at the moment still connected via usb, is it seems to lag a bit.

Is there anything i can do to speed it up?

trying the ppc over usb probably isnt the best thing to do...but I will be adding a setting in the future so you can sacrifice quality for speed...and vice versa...in the next alpha40.1 I will crank up the quality to 100% and we'll see if any one complains about resonse times.
stevenhanna6