Remote Navigation help

Speak your mind

Remote Navigation help

Postby homepc on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Ok, heres the issue....

I have XL configured to work with my Verizon set top box remote. And basically everything works great, with one minor issue...
I have the remote configured for Media Player Classic. When a movie is playing, I can pause/play, stop, rewind, fastforward, and goto to the root DVD menu all with the remote. When I am in the root DVD menu, I can navigate around the options like Play Movie, Scene Selection, Extras, things like that, but as I'm navigating the DVD Root Menu, I use the same buttons on the remote that I use to navigate around XL. So, in the background, behind Media Player Classic, Im actaully navaigating around XL also. The question is, is there any way to just have the remote navigation buttons operate just the screen thats active? And NOT the screens behind it?

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Re: Remote Navigation help

Postby art on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:22 pm

I can think of 2 options for you:
1. use xremote plug-in, you can create an empty screen and enter it when you start MPC, exit when you close it
2. use xSendKeys plug-in, which will send keys to active app
art

Postby homepc on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Ah yes.....I like your idea about the blank screen. I will give that a try!!

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby dalanik on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:57 am

Or use Girder to process IR codes....
dalanik

Postby homepc on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Mayber Girder is my answer....

OK, here is the next odd thing.....just found out last night....

My remote works just fine for navigation and volume control as long as I'm listening to music. But as soon as I play a movie and Media Player Classic comes up, the remote will no longer control volume. XL is programmed to send IR codes to my receiver to turn volume up and down by pressing the volume up and down on the verizon remote. Works fine as long as I can "see" XL. As soon as MPC comes up, I no longer have volume control. The USBIRT flashes as if its working, but the receiver never gets the codes. The remote can still control MPC for play, pause, stop, fastforard, rewind, but just not volume......strange...As soon as I close MPC, the volume works as normal again.....

Any ideas?

thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby art on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:11 pm

What is your IR setup - plug-ins, etc?
art

Postby homepc on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:45 pm

art wrote:What is your IR setup - plug-ins, etc?

All I use is the default internal IR Plugin for XL and the USB-UIRT.
homepc

Postby homepc on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:46 pm

art wrote:What is your IR setup - plug-ins, etc?

I will get some screen shots tonight if you think that will help......
homepc

Postby tswhite70 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:49 pm

Is there a reason you are using XL to forward IR commands to your receiver? Is it in another room, or location? If it is in the same location, can you reprogram your remote to use the proper IR commands for the reciever on the volume buttons of your remote? That way you eliminate Xlobby and it's focus from your volume control.

The only other suggestion I have is Girder...

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby homepc on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 pm

tswhite70 wrote:Is there a reason you are using XL to forward IR commands to your receiver? Is it in another room, or location? If it is in the same location, can you reprogram your remote to use the proper IR commands for the reciever on the volume buttons of your remote? That way you eliminate Xlobby and it's focus from your volume control.

The only other suggestion I have is Girder...

good luck,
tsw

TSW,

I dont think my Verizon Remote is programmable. That is why I'm using XL. I had 5 remotes. One for Verizon Set Top Box, one for my receiver, one for my projector, one the the lights and one for the fan. I figured I could use the Verizon remote to do all with the help of XL. I couldn't justify buying another remote to program all the remotes into, but maybe that is what I should do? Like the Harmony 550? The verizon remote and XL seems to work everything. I just cant figure out why I lose volume control only when MPC is present. Maybe its because XL is no longer the Active Window? hmmmmm

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby art on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:11 pm

homepc wrote: I just cant figure out why I lose volume control only when MPC is present. Maybe its because XL is no longer the Active Window? hmmmmm

Did you test it with some other app - just start notepad, make it active, and see if your volume works - this should show if it's "Active Window" problem or not....
art

Postby homepc on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Ok I've done some testing and found that if MPc is playing in full screen, XL will not send the commands to the receiver for VOL up or down because XL is not the active window. If I minimize MPC, XL will send the commands. Is there any way around this? I guess I could use girder, but I would rather not.

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:56 am

Use MPC in an XMoveWindow. Make the window a full screen, and tie an event for the remote to "minimize" the window, or even close it when a button is pressed. This way Xlobby will alway be in the forground.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby homepc on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:57 pm

Thanks Marbles. I like the XMoveWindows idea. I was looking into this but the instructions are in french. I seem to recall a document on XMoveWindows in english but dont remember where. Do you know where I can get this english xmovewindows document?

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby homepc on Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:03 pm

Sorry, I found it. I had a copy in my documents. Thanks
homepc