Tutorial: DISPLAY FOLDER IN CATEGORY event

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Tutorial: DISPLAY FOLDER IN CATEGORY event

Postby BaddaBing on Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:16 pm

If you have not yet figured out how to use the new DISPLAY FOLDER IN CATEGORY function that StevenHanna mentions in this post: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4611 then here are the files to help you build this screen:

1] Download the zip file and extract to a temporary directory.

2] There are three subdirectories in the zip file: BUTTONS, EVENTGROUPS and SCREENS

3] Copy the files in the BUTTONS directory into the BUTTONS directory of your skin

4] Copy the file in the EVENT GROUPS directory into the EVENT GROUPS directory of your skin

5] Copy the files in the SCREENS directory into your skin directory

6] Start Xlobby

7] Go to your MUSIC screen (or which ever screen you want the button on)

8] Add a button that says "Music Category" (or what-ever you want it to say)

9] Assign the following event to the button -> category:goto music_category

Done

This example file should be enough for the advanced skinners to figure out how it works. If you know how to work with categories in XL then you will see that this is really pretty simple. This screen has some basic functions, you can easily add any event that works with categories (i.e filter, search, etc.) to this screen.

Enjoy. :wink:

-Baddabing

Download: http://www.xlobby.com/files/badabing/fi ... tegory.zip
Last edited by BaddaBing on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BaddaBing

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:16 am

damn I'm impressed, I didn't even document this feature yet. A tip of the hat to you.

I would just like to add the "instant update" check box at the top right hand corner of the "category" tab....check that off for each category, it will make an interface like that fly (aka very fast)
stevenhanna6

Postby C-moi on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:12 am

BaddaBing,
I try to download the file music_category.zip from your link but i can't. I would try this and understand how you did it.
Thanks BaddaBing
C-moi

Postby abobader on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:57 am

C-moi wrote:BaddaBing,
I try to download the file music_category.zip from your link but i can't. I would try this and understand how you did it.
Thanks BaddaBing

Same thing here, the link will take you to the main site.

My best.
abobader

Postby rika on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:15 am

Thanks BaddaBing!!!
Rika
Last edited by rika on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rika

Postby jowaldo on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:57 pm

good job baddabing! now I can get working on my skin again :)
jowaldo

Postby PhilB on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:39 pm

Hey Baddabing and Steve,

I downloaded you sample but the behavior I see is not what you show in the flash you posted.

It does work but the Tracks column only updates when I scroll the Albums. The Albums scroll when I scroll the Artist but the tracks do not.

I do have some minor differences in my setup. I dont use Albums but rather use Artist/Track. All albums are "various artist". For covers, I just use 1 per artist that I like.

The other minor difference is that I use "Artist" as my database but I changed that in the skin/catagory so I dont think that is related.

Could be a bug or simply I am doing something wrong.

Ultimately, I want to just use the Artist and Track columns in my skin. Not sure if others care about this style.

Comments?

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Postby BaddaBing on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:44 am

This screen is set up for the following: Artist is filtered by album, then album is filtered by track.

The screen does not work in your environment because it was not configured for an Artist/Track DB.

In order to work with a non-standard environment you will need to modify the value and display filters used by the categories. Sounds like you will just use two rather than three categories.

There is a command that might apply to environments like yours called DISPLAY MULTI CATEGORY TOGGLE.
Based on the name and the parameters it utilizes I'm guessing it might be used to 'toggle' the categories.
But that is just a guess on my part. I'll leave that answer up to StevenHanna6
Last edited by BaddaBing on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaddaBing

Postby PhilB on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:34 am

Yes I see that now. I was able to replicate your work and make it work for my setup. Then I just deleted the "Albums" catagory and associated graphics/buttons.

It is really nice and pretty fast too.

That said, I am not sure I like it yet for what I have in mind. I think that I may use it for navigation but once I pick an artist to play, I will pop an overlay. On the "mini-server" I am making, the navigation is Album cover based so I am not sure this applies. I will have to fiddle around a bit to decide what works best for me.

Still, this will be a great feature for the masses.

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Postby vaderag on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:08 pm

This is something i have been looking for, and it works great.
I'm having one problem tho. I'm using the heavy metal skin, and have put this into it, however, i want a search to skip straight to the various letters, and maybe even an advanced search. So, i copied the search from the heavy metal music page, and while it works, it seems to messes up the listing by showing Artist/album instead of just artist.
I've looked through all the skin editor pages and cant really see how it works - all each of the letters seems to do is to close the overlay. There is show>'letter' listing with all letters listed for each thing, but i cant find a way of changing this!?

Anyone able to help?!
vaderag

Postby jowaldo on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:27 pm

stevenhanna6 wrote:damn I'm impressed, I didn't even document this feature yet. A tip of the hat to you.

I would just like to add the "instant update" check box at the top right hand corner of the "category" tab....check that off for each category, it will make an interface like that fly (aka very fast)

steven i've been messing around with this new feature, but can't seem to see a difference using the instant update checkmark.. is there anything special that needs to be done in addition?
jowaldo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:28 pm

Ok here first cat "artists" is filtered... and database used "music" is actually two tiered? But what i would want to do is to have three tiers deep database displayed chained like this in three cats... so that database would actually be placed on first cat, second cat would hold second tier of that database based on selection on first cat... and third cat would hold third tier of database based on selection on second cat... Anybody managed to do this??
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lpg on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:29 pm

I am struggling here so if someone could give me some help I would appreciate it. I cannot seem to get this to work. My issue is that all of the information is in the first column.

Starts off with Artists in first column but nothing in ablums or tracks.

When you click artist the first column information changes to albums

Click again and the first column becomes tracks.

Nothing ever shows in the last two columns.

The database is setup as Artist then Albumn then Tracks

The events are showing up and the Screen seems to be installed correctly sine the categories seem to be working fine.

I am using xlobby2.exe
lpg

Figured it out

Postby lpg on Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:33 am

I needed to load the latest experimental version. It works great
lpg

BaddaBing

Postby lar282 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:35 am

Hi BaddaBing

first, thank u for the tutorial.really appreciate it.

second, I have 2 questions
1/ Does your skin use this now? If so can I download it?
2/ If 1 is no, can u help me out here:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=category

regards

//Lasse
lar282

Next