Animated Weather Maps

Got an idea, post it here

Animated Weather Maps

Postby joeblow on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:20 am

Hopefully this hasn't already been addressed. I thought it would be nice to be able to implement animated weather maps. I found a place where they put it into a gif file. Here's an example

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/sat_mosa ... saewi_.gif

I manually edited the xml file and put the address in but it didn't animate it. Not sure what it would take to be able to utilize gif files in Xweather but thought it'd be a nice feature. Any ideas?
joeblow

Postby m_ski on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:52 am

Try inserting it as a web page object with the address you quoted - that 'might' work.
m_ski

Postby joeblow on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:36 pm

You mean using the html code? I figured if it couldn't even handle a gif file, it wouldn't be able to handle HTML. It appears to me like it can only use a jpeg but I'll try it.
joeblow

Postby m_ski on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:28 pm

No, I mean in the skin editor you can insert an internet explorer window into a skin with a specific web address. (It is on the 'Add' tab in the skin editor) If you do this with the web address of the gif file then IE will be generating the gif image and may well animate it properly.

I think you may well have issues with white space around the outside but you could generate your own local html page with the correct color background that you want.
All of this is speculation until tested to actually see if it will animate using this method.
m_ski

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:12 pm

Web idea is good one.

If it doesnt work however, u can try my plugin xPerT as second choige.
It contains support for gif animations, and usage for them is given on rikas "while were waiting" thread on skin forum.
P3rv3rt B3ar