"Newest added to database" filter?

Help each other out

"Newest added to database" filter?

Postby slaman on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:29 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help in the past year+ that I've been working with Xlobby... with so much use though, I'm now starting to notice that my database is growing (2TB!), so I was wondering if anyone had implemented a "newly added" filter for movies... Let's say I want to see the last 10 entries, but without having to manually add a timestamp of when I added it to the database when I include it in the database... any ideas?
slaman

Re: "Newest added to database" filter?

Postby defrag on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:02 am

Take a look here. I use this to scan my tv series database to show a top 10 sorted by date aired which I show on my home screen. From there I can jump straight to the show.
defrag

Postby slaman on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:04 am

Hi defrag,

Took a look at the plugin you mentioned and the "date" information isn't available... if I'm storing the information in the database, I can't filter on it. Is there a way to populate using Windows' Date Created or Date Modified field?
slaman

Postby defrag on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm

As all the databases are just xml text files, there is no way to identify a newly added entry unless there was a specific field set in the xml entry for that record. It doesn't have to be a date, it could be a counter that increments each time a new record is added. How are you building your database? Through XLobby? DVDProfiler? ANT?
defrag

Postby slaman on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 am

I build it through XLobby... I manually add an entry to the database through the F2 screen, so I'm not sure how I can get an automatically-incrementing value to be stored by XLobby...

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to get the information from the Operating System in realtime (Date Modiied/Date Created), or perhaps some sort of plugin that gets this information and adds it to the database?
slaman

Postby jryan1776 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:28 pm

I recently added buttons to my movie display page to sort by title, release date, purchase date. I'm using dvdprofiler to store my movie database which automatically adds the "release date" field. Whenever a new movie is added to the database, it defaults the "purchase date" to the day that the movie was added to the database.

To sort the database I use "set sort order" from the events>category menu. Xlobby defaults to sorting by the oldest entries first, so get the newest items to the top, use "-1:purchasedate" in the set order field instead of just "purchasedate".

Hope this helps.
jryan1776

Postby S Pittaway on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:29 pm

i have a plugin which adds date added and a few other things to an xlooby database.

that can be used with xtoppicks to do what you want.

i have been a bit poorly latley so "real life work" needs to be brought back in line, when i am top of it i will type it up and post it.

sean.
S Pittaway

Postby slaman on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:39 am

jryan1776 wrote:I recently added buttons to my movie display page to sort by title, release date, purchase date. I'm using dvdprofiler to store my movie database which automatically adds the "release date" field. Whenever a new movie is added to the database, it defaults the "purchase date" to the day that the movie was added to the database.

To sort the database I use "set sort order" from the events>category menu. Xlobby defaults to sorting by the oldest entries first, so get the newest items to the top, use "-1:purchasedate" in the set order field instead of just "purchasedate".

Hope this helps.

Interesting... the thing is that I don't use DVD Profiler, just XLobby - would love to have a "purchase date" field automatically update to when the item was added to the database!
slaman

Postby slaman on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:40 am

S Pittaway wrote:i have a plugin which adds date added and a few other things to an xlooby database.

that can be used with xtoppicks to do what you want.

i have been a bit poorly latley so "real life work" needs to be brought back in line, when i am top of it i will type it up and post it.

sean.

How does it do it? Using the windows "Last Modified" or "Created" attribute?

Can it be used for music as well?

Would love to see this!
slaman

Postby S Pittaway on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 am

you run it after doing a scan and it then uses the current date/time.

i could change it to use the creation time on the parameter (i have debated doing this) if people would perfer it.

anyway a test version is here http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6292
S Pittaway