Project P3rvette

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Re: Project P3rvette

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:04 pm

Question for local powerstrip users...

Im trying to set native resolution of thermaltek unit... installed newest powerstrip and found out that button which should allow set custom resolution "Advanced timing options..." is grayed out. What could be the cause? am i missing some safety switch for dummies somewhere? im rather newb with powerstrip, only created some native HD modes in past when display adapters didnt support them by default.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lpg on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:57 am

Sorry, I am not a powerstrip expert but check out http://www.avsforum.com. I believe under the HTPC forum there is a powerstrip sticky thread. There should be some experts there that could help you.
lpg

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 am

The red forum :shock: !!

Im not James Bond u know... i dont think i can sneak in and out there posting without people begging/forcing me to take their useless HD-DUD players... no no i rather stay away from enemy turf.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:34 am

Project is really coming along fast pace now, while im waiting slot in DVD-rom to arrive, ive been implementing the software side and things are really coming together much faster than i dared to expect. I thought that xlobby would never make it to be the first frontend of p3rvette, i was certain i would have to take some more conventional carPC frontend and slowly adapt xlobby towards the purpose. 1st stage goal for the project on software side has always been: music playing, navigation and handsfree support for gsm. Handsfree is based on phoco and with phoco developers help i got software finally installed and running, ive quickly written a pervtalk device for integrating it to xl and ive almost built the features for it in the pervette skin. Theres still few things to do to have music part of skin ready, but as we know this is hardly any pioneering work. Navigation part (map monkey) will have to wait till i can get pervette on the road, otherwise its awfully hard to test. So the 1st goalstate will be achieved soon software wise, but its better be almost ready anyway, cause spring is only month away... By now it has became clear that xlobby is simply the best choige for carpc frontend also.

Ive needed to make few changes to the p3rvette skin, first of all i couldnt get powerstrip to cooperate, and i have come to conclusion that it disagrees with mobos integrated graphics chip... well atleast thatll save me licensing cost of the strip. but skin needed to be converted to 800x600 so i added letterbox style black bars on the backgrounds. Bigger change is the name of the skin... itll be now on know as Shark skin. For anybody who knows anything about vettes the change is obvious... Ill take CHAOS back to be used later as concept it was originally conceived for -- a car oriented FEEdpack for Frontend Engine device (P3rvTalk's own frontend). Theres still no tribal designs used on the skin yet, but i havent scrapped to idea yet if nothing else i hope to use them to give last bit of the style, but on the other hand ive included new influence from cartoons. See CAR-toons, it all fits together, neat huh :D

Ok lets take a little sneak peek to the main layout of the Shark. Reason im doing this im hoping to get some feedback how to improve it, mayby some bunch of fresh ideas and also to hear will my own ideas work or not. As u prolly see first there are two big menus both left and right hand side. As i stated early on i targeted to static design, however i had to lax on the goal a little, Left hand menu, mainmenu, is static but the righhand menu, submenu is not. Menu is database which has six sub categories set to stone: music, pics, nav, sys, misc and com, each subcat can hold 6 mods, so together skin can accomedate 36 mods, 6 for each six subcats. the choige of six items is based on the fact that monitor has six hard buttons, in the hope i can somehow use these on later date. But also six sub cats are definitely needed, sure u could merge music and pics to one heading ent, but that would be too huge cat it would certainly have more than 6 mods. where as in car use u can merge pics both static andmoving kind under same heading without much of a problem. So what is this talk about mods? mods are short for modules, and they will be selectable from right hand menu and will "load" in the middle of screen space. Ive been for long preaching here about modular skins and im now set to implement one myself. whole point of modules is to wrap certain kind of functionality, which goes together and might be offered by one or several plugins to bite size package which will be swallovable by the end user. Lets face it u have to be a computer scientist or atleast the guy who fuels the rockets up at NASA to be able to use xl-plugin, where as mod can be downloaded by anybody, and more importantly functionality can be comprehended by anybody and just plugged and played... xPerT will be at later date equibbed with all needed code to support mods.

Ok enough about preaching mods for now... As u can see theres corvette butt at lower part of skin, im planning to use it as player, i still have to see if the idea will workor not, but as i see it u need 4 buttons to implement player functionality, and tail lights of vette can very well serve as play/pause, stop/eject, prev/rewind, and next/ff... ill just need to look for american taillights and digitally replace them because P3rvettes euro lights dont kinda fit the color scheme of Shark. also im planning to use "corvette" text as progres indicator and license plate for now playing, and mayby that "cats eye" for volume level, but we'll have to see how all that goes. Also im planning to have butt rise from down there, as i told u guys, i've implemented possibility to move xl element to the internal version of xPerT and although it wasnt success i was hoping it to be, because of speed, but it can handle one object very well, and i can raise the butt and just hide/unhide everything else that comes with in... no strings attached so to speak.

EDIT: i've got lot more ideas planned but while im catching my breath again... ill let u guys chime in... i leave u with this small brain apetizer to ponder upon: what could be 4 letters max name for music subcat, best i've come up with is "hits" but its not quite it... im sure u native english blokes can come up with better term to fit the slot.
Attachments
Image(136).jpg
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby defrag on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:34 am

How about TRAX
defrag

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:27 pm

defrag wrote:How about TRAX

I like TRAX better, i think i go with that.

Theres however one new worrisome consideration rising its ugly head beyond horizon... I never targeted carpc to any tedious calculation strain for processor, like HD or pretty much anykinda video for that matter, i had lot of experience to playing with xlobby around one gigHz machines and i considered that to be "good enough" for carPC applications... now however resource meter seems to take rather high spin even with just a winamp playing :shock:

luckily only one Z1 (and hence winamp) is needed for P3rvette... cause theres no backseat (allthough there are big stickers stating: "back seat is safest place for children" khhm khmm made in U.S.A :lol: )

So i guess it is fair to say i made a little underestimation about computing power need, i guess my mistake was elementary kind, to look too stifly about clock cycle stamps and not to keep in mind that manufacturers architecture might not be directly comparable.

Any how i was first getting 100% consumption readings with new winamp :shock:... afterwards when i realised that visualizations were on as default consumption dropped to about 50%, but still i think thats way high, shouldnt it be more like about 10% on regular 1 gigHz machine...

So its starting to be obvious that i have to go sparingly with computing power, and i remember reading Marbles and others mentioning about using some older like 2.something version of winamp... id like to know more about that solution, namely what would be the tradoff? i suppose i wouldnt loose any xlobby interactivity, but would i loose winamp plugin infrastructure or something important like that? and where can i download this old version? also are there any know problem bugs tied to it?

Ohh boy im so afraid what will zoom player say... i cant go on road without music videos!! :shock: :shock:
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Jay on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:00 pm

Try some from here.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp

Hey, you could have a driver zone and a passenger zone :lol:
Jay

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Jay wrote:Hey, you could have a driver zone and a passenger zone :lol:

I might have to atleast try out how that will work in practise :P

just as i thought car installation would be easy :lol:
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Jay on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:42 pm

I've assured our goverment that you'll keep the kids in the back seat.
You may remove the warning label now :wink:
Jay

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Jay wrote:You may remove the warning label now :wink:

No can do... it keeps me smiling everytime :lol:

besides when my ex sat down p3rvette first time she read it, looked behind, looked puzzled, and asked: "So this is american car?".... priceless :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Jay on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Have you looked in the trunk?
Jay

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Jay wrote:Have you looked in the trunk?

Its hatchback coupe so when u turn your head u see the trunk... and no theres no babyseats or sparetire :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Jay on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Ah! Thought maybe you had the rumble seat option :)
Jay

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu May 08, 2008 10:32 pm

Goddamn im so pissed i need to went a little...

As u might have noticed i have not have much xlobby or carpc time lately cause other project has kept me busy for couple months now... just now things are about to change and im getting back on working on carpc and xlobbying. Actually im going on roadtrip next wednesday and im planning to have that as virgin voyage of the carpc. Surely that time table is tight so requerements have been leaned a bit: navigation has been postponed (ill be relying external unit) to later phase and i will allow myself to carry external battery to power carpc on its first trip (monitor is however taking juice directly from car wiring already), other original project requirements still hold.

Surely the project has move forward in small steps and ive discovered loads of new probs and solved few old ones within last two months but i describe them later when im better motivated on reporting.

Now though i decided to comeback working on the software side... and finish music player part of SHARK skin... and what do i find!! after launching sharkskin first time since month and half... damn Phoco has somehow-mysteriously-all-by-itself stopped working and will crash at moment its launched. I know only remedy for that DRM-ridden mess of a program would be reinstall whole OS and i dont have damn time for that... BLEEP! So all i will have to present for my friends on wednesday is gonna be damn overly complex mp3 player, which i worked so hard for BLEEP! BLEEP! BLEEP!

I know mp3 player with handsfree for phone wouldnt be much grander... but it would somehow illustrate the point that only imagination is limit when having general purpose computer on your car... but now im already hearing "gee, this is all great and all... but what excatly does it do which ipod touch does not?" BLEEP! BLEEEEEEP!

Im feeling so frustrated about PhoneControl.NET that im pretty sure this is the end of PCd (note theres nothing wrong with PCd though) and when i get back around handsfree functionality ill be prolly making my own direct plugin for n9500.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby wesblack on Fri May 09, 2008 12:16 am

I currently have a 2001 C5 Convertible in Black and love the car. My previous Vettes were a 1969 t-top with a 454 big block, totalled and destroyed by a drunk driver at 2:00am in the morning that almost killed me as I saw the complete hood fly over my head in to the ajacent park , a 1985 coupe. I like the new vettes but just not enough reasons to justify the move for the one I have now thats garaged in perfect shape and hardly driven at that.

So how do you like your car !

Lets see more screen shots of your touchscreen based skin :D

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

PreviousNext