Why do my text box sizes & positions keep resetting?

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Why do my text box sizes & positions keep resetting?

Postby Roscoe62 on Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:34 am

I'm trying to make some changes to some text boxes in the original skin for XLobby. However, I'm finding it extremely frustrating to edit a text box position & size, then go onto another text box, do some editing there and when I come back to the original text box, it's height and width (and sometimes position) have reset themselves! I have none of the boxes in the default tab of the button editor checked (i.e. Multi Screen, default, locked, or keep aspect ratio), and I'm ensuring to make the height and width of the box an adequate size to display the newly sized text but this constant resetting is driving me up the wall! :x

This is probably a simple one that a skin engineer could easily answer. But until I can solve the problem I can't do any more skinning.

Please help!
Roscoe62

Postby art on Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:11 am

try checking "locked"
art

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:54 am

Nope. Doesn't make the slightest difference.

Some more details. Say I've got a text box that's 47 wide, and 17 high.

I go and change those dimensions to 60 x 20. Then I go and edit another box. When I click back onto the first box it's back to 47 x 17 again.

Another thing I can do is change the box dimensions from 47 x 17 to 60 x 20, then go in and customise the text. When I come back out the box has returned to 47 x 17 again. :x

Surely there's something simple I'm doing wrong, or that I've neglected to do? Can someone put me out of my misery?
Roscoe62

Postby Cosworth on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:32 am

I can reproduce your problem for test boxes when "locked" is not checked. It appears to resize to fit the text displayed.

Lock it and the problem should be gone. It is for me.

I know you probably want to leave it unlocked for resolution changes, but maybe you should ask what you expect the box to do then.
Cosworth

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:44 am

Sorry, I've tried it with lock checked, and with lock unchecked. It doesn't affect it at all. It still resizes it every time.

To be specific I'm working with the default skin on the movie viewer page, and the text box I'm resizing is the one that says "YEAR"

To be more specific...

With lock checked
1) I select text box - box shows 47 x 17
2) Select "locked"
3) Resize box to 60 x 20
4) Click on another box elsewhere on the screen
5) Click on the original box - it's gone back to its original size - 47 x 17

With lock unchecked
See steps 1, 3, 4 & 5 above.

To be even more specific, I've chosen Arial 14 as my font, with movement and shadow as my only selected options.

I've run out of ideas.....
Roscoe62

Postby Cosworth on Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:26 am

Sorry Roscoe. I'm at a loss too.

I've gone through your steps in the last post EXACTLY and can only reproduce it with locked=off
Cosworth

Postby art on Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:24 pm

try resizing first, then lock it and go to the next box, also do NOT go back to the first box - just exit skin editor and check if your text will fit meaning if the box resized itself or if it's holding the size .... let us know
art

Postby jowaldo on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:11 pm

I had a problem somewhat similar to this and steven fixed the bug.. I'm not sure if its exactly like what you are getting, but its very similar.

He fixed it in the latest exe
http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:13 pm

Oh I forgot to say... make sure you try creating a new text box, don't try editing the old one you were having problems with.
jowaldo

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:55 pm

Jowaldo,

Really?? If you're able to tell me why I shouldn't try to edit an existing box, I think you'll be answering the question as to why I'm having problems.

In the meantime though, I'll just create a new textbox.

Thanks!
Roscoe62

Postby jowaldo on Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:16 pm

Really I'm not sure why I couldn't edit existing ones. Before I try to figure it out, did creating new text box's fix the problem?
jowaldo

Postby Tracie on Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:58 pm

You don't have the "multipage" box selsected for that box do you? I had a problem similar to that with buttons that I had copied to other pages, it turned out that multipage got checked by default & so it was screwing with sizes & positions of that button on every page. Just a thought.
Tracie

Postby Roscoe62 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:37 am

Nope. Multi-page is not selected.

However, there are some very good suggestions on the page at the moment, so I'll give them a try and post back with what I find. I'm sure it'll be useful for others in the future....even as a cautionary tale...and I seem to come up with new ones fairly frequently. :)
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:41 am

Well, I'm still figuring out how this works, but I think the key is to enable the "lock" key, mess around with whatever settings you want to change with each textbox, and once you're done you can go onto do something else on the same screen - BUT - DON'T go back to the textbox you've edited until you've closed out of the editor AND xlobby. If you close out of everything THEN go back in, all the settings stick quite nicely.

Of course the other option is to just delete the textboxes and start fresh with your own.

However, I'm still learning so I'm open to correction from the experts around here. :D
Roscoe62

Postby art on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:04 pm

I was playing with this yesterday and for me, solution was to:
1. make all changes you want
2. when done, check "locked" (not before changes)
When I used this order I was able to edit other boxes and go back to the original one and it was holding the settings I assigned to it. Otherwise if I did it in reversed order (checking "locked" first) I was having the same problems described above.
By the way I was testing it on the same screen "movieviewer" in default skin. Hope this helps.....
art