Basic KX DSP Setup

title says it all

Basic KX DSP Setup

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:30 pm

For anyone interested in a very basic KX DSP setup to get multi-zoning using the KX drivers and Creative Lab Live or Audigy cards. I’m not claiming to be an expert with the KX drivers by any means, but after having problems with a SB0400 (Audigy Value 7.1), the guys over at the KX website helped me get a basic system going. The problem that I had with this card was when attempting to use 0/1 as a party zone (all outputs driven) using the standard setup, the LFE channel was always outputting….well…LFE information. I also have a SB0220 (Live 5.1), which the basic setup worked well for. I was forced to get comfortable playing with the DSP and with the help of some of the guys at KX, I’ve been able to set up the following:

FXBus0/1---------Stereo Mixer----------10Ch EQ----------Epilog Out0/1
FXBus4/5--------/

FXBus0/1---------Stereo Mixer----------10Ch EQ----------Epilog Out2/3
FXBus6/7--------/...........added for spacing..........\---------Epilog Out8/9

FXBus0/1---------Stereo Mixer----------10Ch EQ----------Epilog Out4/5
FXBus8/9--------/...........added for spacing..........\---------Epilog Out17/18

Where:
FXBus0/1 1-8 channels driven all at same time
FXBus4/5 Stereo pair 1
FXBus6/7 Stereo pair 2
FXBus8/9 Stereo pair 3
Epilog Out0/1 Analog Front L and R
Epilog Out2/3 Digital Front L and R
Epilog Out8/9 Rear L/R
Epilog Out4/5 Digital Center/LFE
Epilog Out17/18 Analog Center/LFE

This basic setup should work for all CL cards, but please note the following:
For the SB0400, I had to use the corresponding Digital Out with the Analog out except for 0/1.
Also for the SB0400 I had to check on to swap front/rear channels in the KX mixer otherwise I’d get the same sounds coming out of FXBus4/5 and 6/7.

This setup will give you mp3/wave playback via Winamp. There will be 4 instances of Winamp required. Each set to a different Wave output (0/1, 4/5, 6/7, 8/9). If you want to sync the individual zones, you can setup an event to stop each zone (zone set/stop) then start the zone (zone set/play) that outputs to 0/1 (all channels driven), which I call the “Partyzone”.

Theoretically, you shouldn't require the 10Ch EQ, but I figured that this could help correct any room anomalies, then use the Winamp EQ that is controllable within Xlobby to setup personal preferences.

If you have multiple CL cards, you can increase your zones and have two party zones by setting up DSP's for each card (according to the KX website).

Though I haven’t tried it yet, if you want to stick with Steven’s event for sync audio, then the 0/1 channel could be set to Epilog Out30/31 (I2S 2 L and I2S 2 R), totally bypass the mixers in the above example. According to what I’ve been told, these two outputs are Surround L and R, so an Audigy 7.1 card can be used in a 4 zone setup. An example of that setup could be:

FXBus4/5---------10Ch EQ----------Epilog Out0/1

FXBus6/7---------10Ch EQ----------Epilog Out2/3
.....added for spacing..........\---------Epilog Out8/9

FXBus8/9---------10Ch EQ----------Epilog Out4/5
......added for spacing..........\--------Epilog Out17/18

FXBus0/1---------10Ch EQ----------Epilog Out30/31

Here’s my thread over at the KX website (DriverHeaven):
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=113068

As mentioned in the thread, I still have to learn how to connect the CD player up and a Line In and be able to “switch” (not mix) between those and the FXBus. As my DSP grows, I’ll update this post for all to see (and maybe even try). I've tried ASIO but couldn't get it to work. I've also tried the WaveHQ setting (using the P16V plugin), but couldn't get that to work for me either....but I'll keep pluging at it.

I hope this was helpful for some.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:51 am

Marbles, as u probably know, im working on plugin to control those register sliders on kX DSP plugins, which ofcourse can be used controlling volume levels on zones from XLobby. But since i only have one kX compatible card, support of several cards is going to be lousy at the best.

So i was wondering, do u have both of your cards installed? if that is the case, could it be fast and painless for u to do some alpha testing once plugin is in that point?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:30 pm

I've seen your post about controlling KX drivers, and it had truely caught my attention :!:

I don't have them both installed in the same system currently, but I'm willing to do that to help out. Give me a couple of days to set something "workable" up, as I haven't tried multiple cards yet.

If you want, send the alpha to mayhemDOTprodATgmailDOTcom. Along with some detailed instruction on how to install, set up, and how you want to test it.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanx man,

Since u r willing to see all that trouble, mayby we can make several card support work neatly after all. I have thinked several strategies to implement that and originally i was going with simplest route, have that quickly tested and release, but if u really see all that trouble of reconfiguring, mayby we could try other possibly better approaches too.

Anyway u most certainly have few days to prepare. I think realistic estimate for getting multi-card support to alpha phase is around 10 days.
However i can send u one-card supporting alpha version to play around and familiarize yourself within few days.

Once again, thanx for this.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:05 pm

I've added screen captures with some brief descriptions here:
http://xlobby.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

Basically, I've installed two CL cards into one system. I realized that due to the difference between the cards, the DSP for each is slightly different at the Epilog (output) end. This is understandable because one card is a 7.1 Audigy, the other a 5.1 Live.

Please note:
1) The timbre plugin was used for one channel pair on the SB0220 because I started to get GPR Register errors if I tried to import another 10 Ch EQ. No big deal.

2) The Peak detector plugin was used only to verify signals, and is not really required.

3) Both cards, I had to check on to swap front to rear speakers in the KX Mixer.

4) Only setup for computer playback of audio signals currently. (No CD/Line-In/Mic-In etc).

5) Installing the SB0220 temporarily screwed up my Winamp settings for Xlobby. I didn't realize this until the wee hours of the morning...tired...and went to be. I have to set this up, and additional winamp instances to try more zones.

More to come.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:20 pm

Well, I've found out that my music server is not starting to hit its limitations. With the two CL cards both running KX, and with additional on board audio to give a total of 7 individual zones...7 instances of winamp running at once...and with a lonely IDE drive on a P4 1.7 Gig with 512M RAM, I'm experiencing periodic skipping in some music.

Note to self if I'm going to pursue this as a more permanent solution (I was only planning of one card with the onboard audio for 4 zones), that I will need at least:
1) Save up for a SATA drive
2) Get another 512 min. of memory
3) Install a larger CPU into the system (2.4 Gigs are getting cheaper on Ebay).
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Marbles,

Thanks so much for this post!!!!! I got my SB0060 in the mail yesterday ( I bought it off ebay for $8) and it did not work right with the default DSP. I tried to learn thru the KX site but was totally lost and maybe tired.I did not need anything fancy just 3 seperate outputs. I almost gave up for the night and I found your post. I had it setup in 5min and it worked perfectly. I had 3 independent zones and all 3 together using 0/1.

Thanks a bunch!!!!
scottw

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:43 am

Marbles_00 wrote:I've added screen captures with some brief descriptions here:
http://xlobby.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

Marbles...your link is dead. Can you repost this shot of your Kx setup?? Thanks!!
sharp_1

Postby scottw on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:50 am

Here is my setup that I used from following this post.

Hope this helps.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:05 am

I don't have the image of the Live5.1 setup right now, but here's the one for the SB0400 Audigy 7.1 Value.

Thanks for letting me know about that site. I'm not posting or supporting that anymore.

*UPDATED SB0400 Image to now current*

It's pretty much the same as Scott's only the addition of the 10 band EQ's. I opted for this to help take care of room accustics and other anomalies.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks!!!
sharp_1

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Here is the SB0220 Live5.1:

The Peak meter is only there to indicate if the audio was getting to that point, and is not required. The Timbre was used because I was running out of GPO's (I think that is what there called).
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:22 am

My experience with building up DSP configurations is expanding. Look at this thread for some great ideas (not to be too biased).

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37671#37671

I've also updated my SB0400 image to what it now currently is.
Marbles_00

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:29 am

Question marbles. The "components" shown in the diagram. Are they physical components or virtual components? And if they are virtual, are they from the KDX drivers or P3rvs script?

Thanks!
cmhardwick

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:10 pm

cmhardwick,

I sent you an email in reply to yours, but what your asking here is slightly different.

The "components" shown in the diagram. Are they physical components or virtual components? And if they are virtual, are they from the KDX drivers or P3rvs script?

As stated in the email, the captures shown on this page are not physical components, but virtual types that can be used within the processor chip on the soundcard. The KX drivers tap into this chip and allow users to route the sound to how they would like to use it. Think of the DSP as a empty rack. In the rack you place your equipment or modules. One piece of equipment is your input (FXBus), another is your physical output (Epilog). Everything in between manipulates the sound (volume, EQ, Compressor, Mixers...whatever you want to use). No the lines shown in the capture running from module (equipment) to module, is the cable between equipment.

For your second question, the DSP is part of the KX drivers. When you download and install, then click on the KX icon next to the system clock, the default window that will open is the mixer. Bottom left button will open the DSP. What you will be presented with is the current factory DSP setting. Right click in the window will give you a bunch of options, one being to clear the DSP. Do that so you have a clear state. Don't worry, if you royally screw up, the is an option to bring back the factory defaults...or just close the DSP WITHOUT saving.

PervTalk (using P3rv's .ini files) allows for Xlobby to communicate with the KX drivers.

cmhardwick, the main thing to start is getting a good fundamental knowledge of your DSP. Understanding that is key.

Hope that helps.
Marbles_00

Next