Newbie help please!

Speak your mind

Newbie help please!

Postby happypyro on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi all. I am pretty new to xlobby although I have been testing it for a bit on my pc.. I wont ask anyone to walk me through building my system but I was hoping I could explain what I want to do and yall could make recommendations for setup and components I might need. I think it is a basic setup, but a good one to start with.

I want my HTPC to act as a media server - mostly for pictures, music and games, but also for hard drive based dvd's. At this time I will not be using it as a TVtuner or PVR. It will physically be a part of my HT rack in the basement but it will be scanned/ RF converted and added as a TV channel throughout my home. (I am less concerned with video quality in the home because the HT will continue to be the main DVD viewing room) I do not have any HDTV's in the system and I do not have digital cable. My HT is set up with all components being switched with the Reciever and I am using a Harmony 880 remote.

My main questions concern using a remote to navigate through the XL screens. what do I need to use the harmony 880 downstairs? Can you reccommend a remote for two rooms upstairs, and also IR extenders? Also, how about wireless game controllers?

I think thats all right now. any info is greatly appreciated and I cant wait to jump into this exciting program!

Thanks!
happypyro

Postby rembetis on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:28 pm

For line-of-sight control of Xlobby, I don't think the USB-UIRT can be beat. Xlobby has built-in support that allows the use of ANY remote, allowing simple integration of a universal remote that controls the rest of your gear (such as the Harmony). The UIRT also allows easy and dependable IR emitting as well, allowing you to link Xlobby events with external IR events (when you go to your movie screen, Xlobby switches your amp to movie mode and turns on your TV, etc.).

As far as controlling from another room, hopefully others will chime in. I think the easiest, though certainly not the cheapest, is to run thin clients on wireless PDAs or additional computers located in those rooms.
rembetis

Postby travs69 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:11 pm

What hardware are you using to do the RF conversion? Does it give you a lot of channels to choose from and how are you merging that with any other signals on the exiting coax?
travs69

Postby rembetis on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:16 pm

Not sure if your question was directed at me or not, travs69, but I'm not doing any RF conversion. I run a mini-jack out of the UIRT that is split into two IR emitters mounted near my AVR and TV.
rembetis

Postby travs69 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:23 pm

no.. sorry it was directed at happypyro.. he said he is scanning/convertied to a TV channel.. I have a buddy that wants to do the same thing (one computer.. pick a show and let it play for the kiddies in all the rooms on a certain channel).
travs69

Postby bmblank on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 pm

My brother and I are planning on doing something similar. We have a distribution box so each of the replays was on a different channel. Now we can put the xlobby server on one of those channels. We also have something similar for audio, so we can have 1 or 2 or more winamps running and put each one on a different audio channel and each room in the house can listen to their own channel, or the same channel if they want. This means no trying to sync up two zones. I like it this way.
bmblank

Postby happypyro on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:18 pm

I will be using an agile frequency modulator like this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=180-317

An Agile modulator allows you to choose the channel, or you could use a channel 3/4 modulator for much cheaper. Then the signal just gets combined with the cable feed.

So USB-UIRT is what I need. I wont need it to do thw macro thing as the 880 does that. What remotes would you recommend for controling xlobby from other rooms? Im not going to get two more 880's!
happypyro