Recommendation on soundcard for multizone audio?

Help each other out

Recommendation on soundcard for multizone audio?

Postby WannaTheater on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:23 pm

So I currently use an M-audio deltal 1010LT for multizone audio (3 zones for music, and 1 for zoomplayer output)... basically 4 R/L pairs. I am starting to think I can do this using KX drivers and a cheap PCI soundcard instead. Any advice on how I can do this, i.e. which card to use, etc?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just found a great post by marbles that answers many of my questions... except for this one...

Where do you get the cables which will split the outputs (some look like they carry 3 signals plus ground) to RCA-type connections?
WannaTheater

Re: Recommendation on soundcard for multizone audio?

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Where do you get the cables which will split the outputs (some look like they carry 3 signals plus ground) to RCA-type connections?

Those are just standard video camera cable. They come with a 3.5mm triple conductor jack at one end and a yellow, red, white RCA jack at the other. On my website, under the music ditro page, about mid-way down (under System Wiring), I have a drawing of the interconnects between all the components. I have included Steren part numbers for all the 3.5mm --> RCA cables. Calrad also sells their own brand. :)

Just make sure also that if your going to go with an Audigy or Live, that it is compatible with the KX drivers. On the KX website, there is a compatibility list that it very thorough and up to date.

But seriously, unless you are going for more zones, stick with the M-audio setup as that card is far more superior in quality, spec wise, than the Audigy/Live platform. I just don't know how polished it is for controlling via xlobby.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby WannaTheater on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks. Earlier this morning I ordered an Audigy SE, and a couple cables that you mentioned (I found them on amazon). I'll give it a try and compare quality. The LT1010 was expensive, and I would like to repurpose it back to my guitar (different PC)!
WannaTheater

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 pm

repurpose it back to my guitar (different PC)!

Understandable, that would explain your reasoning very well. The most difficult thing about using the KX drivers, is understanding P3rvBear's P3rvTalk plugin scripts. Once you wrap your head around all that, and get an understanding of how it all works, then skies the limit.

Have fun.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:59 pm

I ordered an Audigy SE

You may want to double-check that card against this list:
http://kb.kxproject.lugosoft.com/list.html

They indicate that it is an unsupported card. :(
Marbles_00

Postby WannaTheater on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:32 pm

I probably will not use the plugin, if possible. I will just be controlling volume through winamp... signal routing will be fixed.
WannaTheater

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 am

It certainly is possible, i originally coded the plugin only cause i didnt get fast enough response from kxctrl launched via batch files when fading in/out channels. However inspecting and adjusting zone volumes simultaneously within freexlobby without my little piece of glue could be a challenge :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby WannaTheater on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:26 pm

DOH!
I tried installing the KX drivers with my brand new sound card, only to find it is unsupported! The support list stated is supports Audigy cards.... I guess Audigy SE is not considered an Audigy card, hence unsupported....

DRAT!
WannaTheater

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Tried to warn ya...you must've missed my post above.
Marbles_00

Postby WannaTheater on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:30 pm

It was reLly early in the morning when I ordered it.... :lol:
WannaTheater