Question for you guys with multzones or clients

Help each other out

Question for you guys with multzones or clients

Postby Dluvr22 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:32 pm

IS there a feature in xlobby that would allow my media - be it music or video to follow me from one room to another . I'm going to try to explain this as best as i possibly can. Say I have my ppc or windows mobile phone as a client connected to xlobby and i have fat clients in different rooms in my home. I want when I move from one room to another xlobby would be able to tell what room I'm in and my media would play in that room. I guess this should be a feature request but I am not sure if this has already been implemented. If it hasn't then I just post this in the featue request thread
Dluvr22

Re: Question for you guys with multzones or clients

Postby bmblank on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:10 pm

You can for sure do it by TELLING it that you're in a certain room, but I can't imagine a way without that. I guess I can imagine a way... It'd involve a series of either motion detectors or possibly a bunch of RFID readers. Basically you'd need some sort of controller that would tell xlobby what's going on. "IF there is motion in this room, THEN turn on the sound" kinda thing..
There is at least one project where somebody basically automated their home in a similar fashion. Check the My Home Theater section, you'll find it there..
bmblank

Postby Dluvr22 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:35 pm

I was thinking along the lines of a bluetooth connection on clients. As you move from one room to another the phone or ppc would automatically connect to the network via bluetooth in that particular room and start playng the media in that zone.
Dluvr22

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Mayby with triangulation... would be interesting project to experiment :D

EDIT: Except if u happen to be Japanese living in paper house... then simple GPS-collar will do... but wheres the challenge :(

EDIT: but seriously this was something i was thinking when i gave little thought what to research for my second thesis, like said i would try to do it with triangulation... id call it 0-zone since its on the air.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby bmblank on Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:35 am

I'm sure you could set up zones where when you come within range it could turn on music, but I'd say the problem would be in making sure the zones stay where they should be. How do you fill an entire room with a bt signal without spilling a little over into the next? I think a more reliable way would be with some sort of sensors, perhaps motion sensors on the doors.
It would sure be neat, but I think trying to set it up with bt wouldn't give you any advantages over other methods.
bmblank