DVD Profiler and recover from Xlobby load failure

Speak your mind

DVD Profiler and recover from Xlobby load failure

Postby Axalotaqs on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:47 am

Two separate questions... First, I am a Xlobby noobie and new to HTPC's. I finished my build last week and it didn't take me long to decide on Xlobby. While installing a program tonight, my machine hung and ctrl-alt-delete wouldn't summon task manager to kill the offending task. Xlobby was running at the time and I had no choice but to hold the power button for 4 seconds to shut it down. After reboot, Xlobby would not run. I would get the "hourglass" for 2-3 seconds and nothing else. No error, and no loading of Xlobby at all. I copied the database folder and uninstalled and reinstalled Xlobby. It instantly worked, but to my dismay pasting the databases I had built caused Xlobby to crash. This leads to my first question:

What is the appropriate way to back up Xlobby in the event that I would need to uninstall and reinstall Xlobby? Besides the database folder, what else should be preserved and then pasted over a fresh install?

Second, I only have 8 DVD's loaded on to the HTPC for my daughter. I use DVD profiler and can import that database. However, when I do that I get duplicate database entries for each DVD. (I get one entry from the Xlobby import from the path to the DVD, and then another entry from the DVD Profiler import. I take the correct path to the video files from the Xlobby import and revise the DVD Profiler path so that it finds the DVD (and uncheck the "offline" radiobox) and then delete the Xlobby entry.) I must be skipping an important step or be doing something out of order...

So what is the appropriate method for adding a new DVD to Xlobby and utilizing DVD Profiler?

Thanks for your help!
Axalotaqs

Postby S Pittaway on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:47 am

To rebuild it all yoy really need is the db files (as you said), if you tweak your skin at all you also need to backup that as well.

having said that, my intire xlobby folder only ways in at arround 100mb so why not back everything up, then if anything goes wrong you can be up and running in minutes?
S Pittaway