Newbie @ the Movies

Help each other out

Newbie @ the Movies

Postby Colby on Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:06 pm

Okay so Ive been using xlobby awile and am only now beginning to rip my dvd's to my harddrive to make a video library. I have some questions.

1. What is a good (high compression, high quality) video codec to rip at? My copy software supports;
Cinepak Codec by Radius
Intel Indeo Video 4.5
Intel IYUV codec
Microsoft Video 1
DivX 5.0.5 Codec
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V3
DVSoft

2. What is a good resolution for a standard 32" tv?
480x320
640x432
720x480
other?

3. I want to simply rip and store the dvd as a file (C:/mydvds/moviename) then access them via Xlobby. Can xlobby read *.iso or vcd or svcd?

4. What is the nominal framerate for a dvd?

5. Would I want to rip the trailers as seperate files? (Ive seen a lot of conversation in the forum about trailers)

I rip with #1 dvd ripper and play with zoomplayer. Ideally I want what everyone wants, smallest possible file with the best resolution possible. Anything else I should know feel free to holla back.

Thats it for now. Im sure I will have other questions. Thanks.
Colby

Postby Scarpad on Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:25 pm

I'm just using DVD Shrink to Rip them Non Compressed to the Hard drive after removing the stuff I don't want. For TV show disks I'm leaving them basically as is except for remving some of the audio tracks. I would guess alot of people are compressing the video or changing to another format like Divix etc I guess it would depend on how large your tv is and how many compression artifacts you can live with.
Scarpad

Postby noviceboy on Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:23 pm

@colby

if you've spent the money for picture quality why do you want to spend hours removing it ? DVD shrink the ones you simply MUST have online and keep the rest offline[/quote]
noviceboy