Hidden Buttons and Navigating with a Remote

Got an idea, post it here

Hidden Buttons and Navigating with a Remote

Postby MFan on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:27 am

Steve,

I would like you to consider changing one action of a hidden button. Take the case where you have 3 buttons lined up from top to bottom. Further, suppose that the middle button is hidden. If you use a remote to navigate down from the first button to the third button, it will take 2 presses of the remote's down button. I would like to have it such that the hidden button would also be transparent to navigation, so that in the case above the middle button would be ignored and a single remote down button press would cause you to go from the first to the third buttons.

Is it feasible to implement this type of action?

Don
MFan

Postby Colby on Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:04 am

why not just use the navigation override? Make button one's down direction be button #3 and make button 3's up navigation be #1.
Colby

Postby dalanik on Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:55 am

Yes, but suppose that you UNHIDE the button (for some purpose)... the navigation override would STAY!!

I bumped into this some time ago when I wanted to create 2 sets of buttons underneath each other and show/hide each set depending on "exit button"... I finaly gave up because the nevigation was impossible...

D.
dalanik

Postby gamejester on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:52 am

That is why you need the navigation ON/OFF event

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2439

When you hide a button you could then also turn off its navigation thus making a screen more dynamic.

Now for the touch screen users out there you would also need to disable/enable a buttons actions (click event, leave event, etc....) because currently a hidden none nav button can still perform an action if is at the front and clicked with a mouse or finger.
gamejester

Postby MFan on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:15 pm

I agree that being able to set the navigation on or off would solve this problem.

Don
MFan