Running Atari, and it is great fun!

title says it all

Running Atari, and it is great fun!

Postby Colby on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:40 am

After all this time I finally got my Atari emulator working within XL. It works great, and perfect. Why didnt I implement it sooner? There is nothing like a 4-bit game on an 42" LCD TV. I miss the old Atari 2600 days. Man we have come full circle. Megamania is my all time favorite game... but I digress.

If anyone is interested in emulating Atari 2600 w/games in XL, it is very very simple to do. I can walk everyone through it. I also am setting up all my game systems again.
Colby

Postby rembetis on Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:43 pm

I'd be interested in hearing how this is done. I'm nearing the age when a regression seems imminent :lol:
rembetis

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Colby,

What emulator do you use?
Marbles_00

Postby Colby on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:16 am

I use stella 2.1 for atari, (not many choices). I am writing up the how-to soon.
Colby

Postby defrag on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:23 pm

sigh... Alternate Reality, Bruce Lee it's all coming back now :D

Interested to see your write up when it's done
defrag

Postby Colby on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:53 am

Download and install stella 2.1
You will need to point where your roms are in stella. You can do that in the options screen. I also like to associate stella with my .a26 files, though you dont have too.

If you associated your rom file with stella then you can doubleclick it and open it to play. otherwise open the stella.exe. You can configure the roms path there. If you are playing a game, you can hit the TAB key and bring up the video, audio, input menu. Configure your video and map your controller how you want. Then exit. Image

In xlobby you can simply import a database using the roms template. Make sure your file type (a26) is in the import template. Then import your roms to your custom category.

After your roms are successfully imported then you need to start XLobby and configure the file association parameters. Image This is what tells stella to launch and how via command lines. A complete list of commandlines can be found in Stella, Users Guide I would recommend open gl rendering. Once the file types are set up make sure they are enabled. (non yellow highlighted)

Lastly, you take a look at your database. You can set your coverart add additonal info etc. If you want it displayed then you will need to have it tagged in your database. I havent created a way to poplulate all of the info yet for the database, so you will manually edit it for now. Image

Create your Atari page and add the atari category associated to the new Atari database. A simple execute of this category launches game fullscreen. You quit the emulator by a mapped button in the emulator.
Thats it ENJOY!
Last edited by Colby on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colby

Postby hjackson on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:43 am

Colby, just beautiful man, just beautiful! Thanks a plenty! Has anyone recently told you that you're the man?!

hjackson
hjackson