Help from the expert XLobbyers

Help each other out

Re: Help from the expert XLobbyers

Postby scottw on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:05 pm

I would go the linux route as well but am afraid I would not be able to get it to do what I wanted. Windows has alot of apps that can "help" you achieve the results you want and I feel that with linux I would be stuck writing scripts and custom apps. Linux does have ALOT more functionality than Windows and you can get it do just about anything you want as long as you can program it yourself.

Just my opinion.

Sorry to jack your thread WannaTheater but it looks like you got it working ok, so the "jack" is legal, right :lol: :lol:
scottw

Postby drfunmetal on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:
Marbles_00 wrote:
Mind you once I have the HTPC together...I just have to try Linux MCE.

What is this heresy. Let the witchunt begin!

Hey, if that install goes the way of all my other feeble attempts at installing Linux goes...it will be a very short trial. I just don't get Linux at all. Tried Mandrake 9. Made a boot disk, was able to load it..Yadda, Yadda. Booted up for the first time, had no clue what to do from there. Recently I tried Freevo on a PIII 550MHz. Ran from CD great, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me, how to get it to run from the hard drive. I don't know, unless your a Linux guru, or your a sap willing to spend alot of time configuring...which I'm neither (all my time is spend configuring/playing with Xlobby :wink: ), it will most likely not be my cup of tea.

Hello,

My son found this link about the ease of using linux. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&hl=en.
Any thoughts? I am a newbie and have a steep learning curve either way. The linux mce seems intriguing. I live in a four floor townhouse.
I have been running cat6 wiring to use baluns for component distribution. Does xlobby deliver 1080P hd quailty video. What card(s) do you recommend. Thanks for your reply.
drfunmetal

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Does xlobby deliver 1080P hd quailty video.

Xlobby (well the free version) does not determine this. Its up to the video software, and the video card used.

What card(s) do you recommend. Thanks for your reply.

Any newer video card that can do on-board hardware acceleration would work fine. For example, I have an ATI HD2600 pro, and I'm very pleased with it (though I'm not doing 1080p...only 1080i...which is a limit on my RPTV).
Marbles_00

Previous