Run Multiple Instances of Xlobby

Speak your mind

Run Multiple Instances of Xlobby

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:55 pm

New Project...Yes, it would be nice to close off my many others...but hey, what's one more.

I'm piecing together a very basic bedroom system. The fun starts that I want to distribute the video/audio to two different monitors (one in the bedroom, one in the bath...this is actually endorsed by the wife to boot). At most, for now, the video/audio will be no more than DVD rips. I figure I can play mulitple movies via multiple instances of Zoom Player.

Question is, is there a way to have multiple instances of xlobby running? I've copied the xlobby directory, and made a change to the second xlobby's .xml file to open in monitor 1, which it does, and the first xlobby opens in monitor 0. Only problem is if I have one open, then open the other, it opens in its proper monitor, but it first closes the one already open.

I'm thinking the only way to do this is to make some client screens, and then open a thin client on the second monitor...unless someone can come up with something else.

I tried to do a search, but haven't really found what I'm looking for.
Marbles_00

Re: Run Multiple Instances of Xlobby

Postby scottw on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 am

Marbles,

I have 2 workarounds for you both of which I am using :lol:

My XL machine #1 is connected to a Standard TV and a 10" touchscreen, svideo to the TV and VGA to the touch. I control the TV via remote which runs the XL software itself. The touch runs the Thin Client (you just point it to it's own IP), just make sure the shortcut to the thin client is on that monitor because I could not get it to run on the second monitor any other way. This method works good if you plan to use the XL interface in one room at the exact moment someone else is using it in the other. We run movies from the TV and music is controlled via the TS so we wanted XL to be able to be accessed at all times on both screens. One downfall is the thin client cannot do everything the full copy can do.

My 2nd XL machine is in the bedroom and runs the bedroom TV and a Plasma TV in the family room (the family room TV is right on the other side of the bedroom wall), this setup runs movies only.....so far :lol:
For this setup I wanted a full copy of XL to be able to be used on each TV. So what I do is use the "hotkeys" and "profiles" in UltraMon. The hotkeys enable me to be able to move the current window (xLobby) from one monitor to the other. On top of that the native resolutions are different on the 2 TV's so at the same time I move xLobby I change the resolution to match the skin. Then when I launch a movie the button to launch the movie changes the res. back to native so the movie looks right. I use a key on my remote (and xsendkeys) to toggle back and forth between the 2 TV's. I love this method since I get the full experience of the XL client on both TV's. The downfall is accessing XL at the same time on each TV.

I am debating on switching to method 2 on the 1st setup, but have to work out some kinks.

I hope my rambling helps :lol:

Let me know if you have any questions and what you decide to do If it is one of my methods I may have some tips/tricks to help you out.

Hope this helps,
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks for the info Scott. I figured in I would in the least end up using scenario #1. On the bath monitor I would run the thin client, then when selecting a movie, the client would exit and an instance of Zoom would open and take it's place. At the end of the movie, the instance of Zoom would close, and the thin client would open again. I'd just make the thin client a clone of the actual Xlobby skin.

Oh by the way...you got mail.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 am

Marbles_00 wrote:Thanks for the info Scott. I figured in I would in the least end up using scenario #1. On the bath monitor I would run the thin client, then when selecting a movie, the client would exit and an instance of Zoom would open and take it's place. At the end of the movie, the instance of Zoom would close, and the thin client would open again. I'd just make the thin client a clone of the actual Xlobby skin.

Sounds like a plan 8) Is the bath monitor a touch or controlled by remote?
I need to get your wife to talk to mine about the bathroom monitor...I want one, take pics :lol:

Marbles_00 wrote:Oh by the way...you got mail.

I did not get any email from you :?
I know you have my email but here goes anyway:
swindmiller at gmail dot com
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:29 am

Yeah...I just crashed. One of those...give myself a stretch while email program was opening...then I woke up 3-4 hours later.

Gees...its a wonder I get anything done...
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:10 pm

Okay, now I'm a little stuck. Is there a way for xlobby to open a client to a specific monitor. I have a shortcut to the thin client .exe on the second monitor, and it opens fine in that monitor. I select a movie, and it plays within Zoom designated to that monitor...which it also closes the thin client. At the end of the movie, in "File Types", I defined an event to launch the thin client, but it opens in the primary monitor not the secondary monitor.

Does anyone know if there are parameters to set in the .txt file as to the actual x,y location to open a client to?

I done some searches and continue to do more to hopefully find an answer.

*EDIT*
Found this approach:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6624&p=47202&hilit=+client#p47160

So I'm going to try it. Thanks Lar

*EDIT Deux*
WOW WEE WOW WOW!!! Lar that's a fantastic little executable. Just figuring out final logic, but so far everything is running really good on this setup. Now I just have to purchase the TV's, mount everything...run cabling...you all know...the fun stuff.
Marbles_00

Postby Jay on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Ya beat me to it. Was going to send his file to you.
Jay