Speak your mind

XboxLobby!

Postby Cosworth on Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:14 pm

Thought I'd share my somewhat special setup:

Hardware/software involved:
Pentium III Xlobby server with no tv out
Pocket PC running Xlobby client
Xbox with Xboxmediaplayer.

I have it working now that I pick an online movie on the PDA and when I press play the Xbox starts playing the thing! (It plays just about everything you can throw at it).

Here's how:

Xlobby server has iexplore defined under filetypes with the xbox webserver as the url + the %file% parameter.

The xbox is running Python and translates the %file% to something more native to the xbox (IP instead of server name, \ to /).

As the start event I'm planning a goto to an xbox page with buttons for all the commands you can send to the xbox. Should be fairly simple now.

How's that for a different approach to Xlobby :wink:
Cosworth

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:19 pm

now thats thinking out of the "box"....come on someone was going to say it :)

pretty cool though :)
stevenhanna6

Postby jmv on Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:59 am

Cosworth,

I am just about to try to implement the same thing but was looking at XBMC as the front end...I like your solution better...can you post here more of the nitty gritty details...I haven't even modded an Xbox yet, although the chip just arrived yesterday.

thx,

mv
jmv

Postby Cosworth on Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:42 am

jmv wrote:I am just about to try to implement the same thing but was looking at XBMC as the front end...I like your solution better...can you post here more of the nitty gritty details...I haven't even modded an Xbox yet, although the chip just arrived yesterday.

I almost envy you the time ahead, where you'll discover the amazing potential of a modded Xbox!

Now I'll assume you're installing XBMC 1.0. Then you'll want to make a file called whatever.spy and put in in your xbmc\web directory with this content:

<html><body>
[[\
import xbmc, string
cmd=request['cmd']
if cmd=="play":{
mediafile=request['fn']
mediafile=string.replace( mediafile, '\\\\Htpc\\176 (E)', '192.168.1.202/176 (E)' )
print ('Playing file: %s' % mediafile)
xbmc.Player().play(mediafile)
}
]]
</body></html>

Make sure you replace "\\Htpc\\176 (E)" with your own computername and sharename. Replace the IP too of course.

When done you can call xbmc with an url like http://xboxip/whatever.spy?cmd=play&fn=<mediafilename>

Mind you this is just the (working) prototype. I'll develop a full command script for the xbox which will allow for an xbox control screen in Xlobby.
A plugin would be needed for 2-way communication.

Now in Xlobby you should create your movie database via the sharename the xbox is using. Gives you the right path. then, under filetypes call iexplore with the url above replacing mediafilename with %file%.

Things to improve in Xlobby for this setup:
- navigate to the url internally instead of opening an external browser.
- 2 way communication (using socket comm instead).
- make a skin for this setup.

Other things you can do:
launch other xbmc scripts like rss news, email checker, xmltv-guide
launch programs (emu's, xbox games etc.)
setup music to play from the xbox.

Have fun :)
Cosworth

Postby CiXel on Sat May 27, 2006 12:37 am

Nice going Cosworth.

In fact, I'm going to have to do a smilar thing soon. I need to have xlobby tell my XBMC what dvd to play from the server.

I've got it to work successfully using the following commandline:
http://XboxIp/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command ... DEO_TS.IFO

So now I get to try to get xlobby to spit out the right commands.
I need to so this becasue no matter what I have tried, I can't get my computer to spit out widescreen with the WSS flag, and the xbox does it with NO issues.

I've got my movies playing right now via a hybrid dvd changer and off the server system front-end via xlobby and zoomplayer.

Do you still have the phyton script that changes \ to /
or any other tidbits to share now that it's been almost 2 years ;)
CiXel

Postby hjackson on Sat May 27, 2006 7:05 pm

"Thought I'd share my somewhat special setup:..."

Woooah! Is this post really 2 years old!!?? By now, the ability to easily integrate with a modded Xbox should be built into Xlobby...

hjackson
hjackson

Postby CiXel on Sat May 27, 2006 8:37 pm

I suppose there is a specialized function for running xlobby and XBMC concurrently as each can act standalone on its own.

What would be GREAT on the Xlobby end as far as integration would be in the "file types" if there was an option to flip the slashes from back slashes to forward slashes for the variables. Otherwise all the other XBMC commands are available via the Web interface using Xlobby to trigger them.

Hey Steven, what would it take to implement a backslash to forwardslash translation on the Xlobby side?
CiXel

Postby jowaldo on Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 am

CiXel wrote:I suppose there is a specialized function for running xlobby and XBMC concurrently as each can act standalone on its own.

What would be GREAT on the Xlobby end as far as integration would be in the "file types" if there was an option to flip the slashes from back slashes to forward slashes for the variables. Otherwise all the other XBMC commands are available via the Web interface using Xlobby to trigger them.

Hey Steven, what would it take to implement a backslash to forwardslash translation on the Xlobby side?

man i would love if i could control xbmc with xlobby! :D
jowaldo

Postby CiXel on Sun May 28, 2006 11:51 am

Well actually, that could be a reality jowaldo.
XBMC has a web interface built in (Once you turn it on)
You can send your commands to it via that and either push a stream or have it directly play files that are set up in a Samba share (Like I'm doing for movies, but it also works great for Audio files and Web content that directly links to the source)

All that would have to be done in the Xlobby interface would be to link buttons to the corresponing web events that would trigger XBMC. You could even control multiple XBMC's by just sending the calls to the different IP's.

Also, if you happen to push movies to it like I have been doing, I find if I send over an ISO image of the movie XBMC works MUCH quicker and is more responsive to screen changes and such. (This of course means me changing my files from file structure to Iso structure, but it's fully worth the speed increase)
CiXel

Postby jowaldo on Sun May 28, 2006 7:18 pm

i will have to dig into this some more... My ideal setup is to use my ppc for this.

This sounds like it would be a good canidate for a plugin, that you could set up the IP of your xbox(s) in, and send preset/predefined commands to.. now only if i had some programming skils ;)
jowaldo

Postby CiXel on Mon May 29, 2006 12:05 am

Well that, and we still have to get \ to translate to /

but otherwise you could set up XBMC as the name and let the HOSTS define the ip for right now. That way the commands could be universal and all the person would have to do would be to define XBMC as their IP in the hosts file, and all should be happy.
CiXel

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 29, 2006 5:29 am

CiXel wrote:Well that, and we still have to get \ to translate to /

but otherwise you could set up XBMC as the name and let the HOSTS define the ip for right now. That way the commands could be universal and all the person would have to do would be to define XBMC as their IP in the hosts file, and all should be happy.

good thinkin 8)
jowaldo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon May 29, 2006 5:46 am

jowaldo wrote: now only if i had some programming skils ;)

Where did u get that engineer tag then?

now, stop explaining and start coding ;)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 29, 2006 4:56 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
jowaldo wrote: now only if i had some programming skils ;)

Where did u get that engineer tag then?

now, stop explaining and start coding ;)

from skinning and doing funky tricks ;)
jowaldo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon May 29, 2006 6:36 pm

jowaldo wrote:
from skinning and doing funky tricks ;)

For that u should only get make-up artist badge ;)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Next