New to xLobby

Speak your mind

New to xLobby

Postby rancid on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi guys,

Right well I only came accross this software tonight and after a quick play it seems very interesting. I do have a few quick questions ( which might have been answered elsewhere ).

Firstly though I have been using Meedio for a long time and nothing else has touched it for its flexibility and configuration. About 3-4 weeks ago I started playing around with LinuxMCE. I am not sure if any of you have seen this but go have a look. Amazing bit of software and looks very nice. Nice daily artwork downloaded from net over transparent menu items etc. All looks great...BUT...after 3 weeks I still could not get it working how I wanted lol. Absolut nightmare. I am not a novice to computers either as I have been programming computers for a living for over 20 years. Well I finally decided to give up on the LinuxMCE and start looking out for something new.

I had a look at VistaMCE and well this is nice. Easy to use etc...Even though it does not have all the extras that Meedio has ( menu configuration, plugins etc etc ) I did find I liked it. But like all other software it does not really do the job I want.

I have 1,000's of albums stored as mp3's, 1,000's of dvd's & 1,000's of high def movies all ripped onto my file server ( yes its 8 Tera bytes worth :)

So my objective is to find a piece of software similar to Meedio but uptodate. I want that ease of use, configurable and nice feel to it.

Right...

1. How configurable is xLobby compared to what Meedio was like? Can I for example create layers of menu selections for music. Modify how the items are going to be displayed and what layer is next down the line when I select one of those items.

2. Can I select different players for different types of media? VLC for dvd's stored as an image, Zoom player for high def movie images & Winamp for music files.

3. Does xLooby work on Vista? 32 & 64 bit?

4. Where can I find full documentation on modifying menus, look & feel of teh system, etc etc.

OK sorry if all these are answered elsewhere but I have very little time at the moment and I have a lot of things to look at and test. ( I KNOW, I KNOW being a bit lazy lol...but mainly trying to get as much info as I can in limited time :)

Thanks for any help and it will be most appriciated as so far xLobby seems to be the direction I will be taking ( as long as I hear what I need to hear :)
rancid

Re: New to xLobby

Postby jowaldo on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:24 am

I'll try and answer these questions basically...

1) xlobby is pretty much the most customizable media center type program you'll find.. you could do all that you were askin and way more.

2) yeah no problem at all..

3) it works fine on 32 bit vista, but I've had issues on the 64 bit version

4) there's quite a bit of documentation you can find in the forum and the documentation section (the ? at the top of this page)
jowaldo

Postby dalanik on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:45 am

1. How configurable is xLobby compared to what Meedio was like?

Meedio? Configurable? Ha ha ha! :-) If you think Meedio was configurable, then XLobby will be fine for you :-) No software comes EVEN CLOSE to customatization/configurability of XLobby. That's why most of the pepole here use it, I suppose. :-)

And what's best, it has editor(s) so you don't have to hand-edit .xml files like in MediaPortal etc.

D.
dalanik

Postby defrag on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:28 am

And if it doesn't do exactly what you want... you can bet somebody will have written a plugin or found a way around... :D

Yes there is a learning curve - but I found it way easier than trying to customise Meedio. Plus there are plenty of good people on here willing to help.

Welcome!!!
defrag