Help understanding PC control vs Reciever control

Speak your mind

Help understanding PC control vs Reciever control

Postby summerall on Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:25 pm

I am going to incorporate xlobby into my HT system buy outputing mp3's from xlobby (pc sound card) into my reciever. I will use a touch screen to control xlobby.

How should I manage the volume control for my mp3's? The skin I'm using has volume controls on it but that won't change the receiver volume. Does this matter and could I get by with only changing the volume via the sking (pc's volume)?

Also, if I wanted to incorporate radio into xlobby how would I accomplish this? The skin I'm using doesn't have a "radio" tab so am I dependent on waiting for the skin developer to create one? Or could I use an external program?
summerall

Postby sdumas on Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:42 pm

The HeavyMetal skin does have a radio function based on Shoutcast. You can add your own radio stations in the XML files. It's fairly simple.

If you need other radio station, you will have to skin it yourself with WindowsMedia Player or other systems.

For volume control, I would send an IR code to the amplifier. If you have a USBUIRT you can do it directly from Xlobby.
sdumas

Postby summerall on Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:46 pm

For volume control, I would send an IR code to the amplifier. If you have a USBUIRT you can do it directly from Xlobby.

But if I don't have a USBUIRT couldn't I just use the pc volume control from xlobby? Or would that not work?

The HeavyMetal skin does have a radio function based on Shoutcast.

But what about FM / AM radio stations NOT internet radio? I guess I would have use my receiver and skin my own interface? Send IR to the receiver to change stations etc? That is when I get a USBUIRT...
summerall

Postby jmv on Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:53 pm

Volume Control:

Just use your receiver as an AMP...set it's volume to the highest level you would want Xlobby to output while running Xlobby's volume bar at 100%...then just use the Xlobby volume bar. You would really have to work to get a feedback loop between Xlobby and the receiver if you wanted to go the IR to receiver route unless you don't want to see the volume level (ie just up down, no feedback telling you that the volume is set to 50%).

mv
jmv