Xlobby with ripped DVDs on Samba network, and resume?

Speak your mind

Xlobby with ripped DVDs on Samba network, and resume?

Postby vogelap on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:10 pm

I've been looking for a full-featured frontend for my HTPC. I am currently using BeyondMedia, but am frustrated by its limitations. My searching has brought me here. I've got a couple questions about Xlobby...

My first question... Does Xlobby support resuming playback of DVDs, both ripped and disc-based? IE: Can I watch a bit of a DVD movie, stop watching, and when I return to watch that DVD, does Xlobby prompt me if I'd like to continue playback from where I left off? This is very important to me.

Secondly, I've got lots of DVD movies on my NASbox (using http://www.serverelements.com product called NASlite 2.0, which currently does not support UPNP) which I access via Samba. Can Xlobby access directories located on the NAS and playback the ripped DVDs from there? I can use either mapped drive letters or UNC to access the NAS...

Finally, is there some way to have Xlobby display ripped DVDs (stored on the NAS), allowing me to choose the movie I'd like to watch? How would I accomplish this? On the NAS, the directory structure is like this:
- NASbox Disk-0:
-- DVD Library (folder)
---- Moviename1 (folder)
------ AUDIO_TS (folder)
------ VIDEO_TS (folder)
---- Moviename2 (folder)
------ AUDIO_TS (folder)
------ VIDEO_TS (folder)
vogelap

Postby art on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:21 pm

1. XL does not have an internal DVD player. You can use TT, ZP etc... (you will need to setup XL to use one of them), so whatever works in the player ....
2 & 3. Map your samba shares on your HTPC, point XL to your "DVD Library" folder (Press F2 to open Setup and go to Basic) and it should import all your movies. I do it with my Suse box and it works just great.
art

Postby vogelap on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

Can you recommend a DVD player to use that supports resume and works with Xlobby?

Thanks for the info about Samba shares & Xlobby.

Xlobby is looking good so far!
vogelap

Postby rhinoman on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Theatretek does what you need.
rhinoman

Postby vogelap on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:39 pm

Thank you for the information. I'll check out Theatertek. Does ZoomPlayer also provide what I'm looking for?

Thanks again.
vogelap

Postby rhinoman on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:44 pm

It may but I've never tried it.
rhinoman

Postby bfauska on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:40 am

Yes, Zoomplayer has an option in the setup menus to allways resume play. It wouldn't ask if you want to or not each time though. I think that there may be a way to tell it to start in a speific place in the movie, but I am not sure. If I am right, then you could use some fancy skinning to have XLobby ask you if you would like to resume or start over and then send the apropriate command to Zoomplayer.

Goodluck, and welcom to XLobby, I think you will find it is the most versitle option out there right now.

Later,
Brian
bfauska