Great deal on a 6 channel amp

Speak your mind

Postby aaronb on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:51 am

What is the remote for on the amp?
aaronb

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:27 am

What is the remote for on the amp?

A previous post stated this:
I think also that the Mute pins are for muting the AIP and have nothing to do with the circuitry of the amp. The 2-pin connector on the amp goes to pins 1 and 2 of an 4N25 opto-isolator. Pin 5 of the 4N25 is the output and the trace goes through a 20k resitor and back out to a pin of the RJ11 connector (that connects to the AIP unit). Now I did see a trace that goes to a via, and then I'm not too sure where it ends up.

Here is the datasheet of a 4N25 optoisolator:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/4N/4N25.pdf

Basically you'd take the one pin connected to pin 2 of the opto, and ground it. Pin 1 of the opto would go to a very low voltage (under 2V) and current limited to 10mA. I haven't tried out the circuit myself.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby summerall on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:51 am

Marbles_00 wrote:What is your source? Computer? CD player?

Computer

Marbles_00 wrote:What happens if you unplug the cable from the source?

The noise goes away

Marbles_00 wrote:What happens if you unplug the cable from the breakout box?

The noise goes away

Marbles_00 wrote:What happens when you unplug the cable from the amp?

The noise goes away

Marbles_00 wrote:Start by unpluging your source, does the noise dissapear? If so then your source is noisey.

Looks like my source (computer) is noisey. Which begs the question how do I get rid of the excess noise from my computer??? Right now I'm coming out of the sound card with one of these:

http://www.eyespyvideo.com/accessories/rca-mini.htm

From there it goes to a standard rca cable red/white L/R audio into the break out box.
summerall

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:15 pm

summerall,

Try some of the things mentioned on the thread below. Do the motherboard isolation as a last resort. Reason being that the cards plugged into the motherboard all have metal faceplates that are grounded to the individual board...and they all come in contact with the case. So isolating a ground issue on the board itself in one location doesn't stop it from making ground in a seperate location.

But see if anything there helps you out.

Link:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=286923
Marbles_00

Postby samgreco on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Marbles - You are almost always dead on :)

However, I decided to try the ground lift, because I treid other sources and still had buzz. So before you start to rip apart you PC, please get one of these...

and don't connect the little metal tab. See if the noise goes away. That's what happened to me.

What's really strange is that I hooked up a portable, battery powered CD player and still got buzz. Much less, but it was still there. As soon as I lifted the ground, it was dead silent.

So I have a wiring issue. You might too.
samgreco

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:24 pm

The only thing doing that sam, is that you have taken away your ground altogether (though in your case...you have no proper ground to begin with in the receptacle box). In a perfect world, and in most cases that would work great, but now there is no safety in case the case get's shorted to live...on will electrocute themselves.

I agree, try everything else before tearing apart the computer, and trying to isolate components....that would be a royal PITA.
Marbles_00

Postby samgreco on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:40 pm

Absolutely! I just mean to use this method to understand where the problem is coming from. Because, in my case, I could have been tearing apart everything on the source side and never solve the problem.

Please don't leave it that way.

My intention is to rewire that outlet accordingly. Luckily I have mostly conduit in this house.
samgreco

Postby samgreco on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm

Oh, and trust me, being a guitar player, I know the importance of proper grounding :shock:
samgreco

Postby aaronb on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:57 am

I picked up tow of those BSG amps off of ebay last week. Just way too cool. I am really happy with these amps. No wonder the company is no longer around, I mean look at all that aluminum and machine work. For now, I will have one amp for each zone going through the preamp AIP. Now to explain the new changes to the wife. I also picked up and installed in wall speakers from Parts Express - the contractor series that are aound $60 a pair. I really like the quality and they sound good.
aaronb

Postby rembetis on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:31 am

Never would have guessed it, when I started this thread, that it would have grown in the one of longest on the forum. Makes me very happy to know so many have snatched one up. A great deal on a well-made piece of gear. Is there anything sweeter?

:D
rembetis

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:01 am

aaronb wrote:I also picked up and installed in wall speakers from Parts Express - the contractor series that are aound $60 a pair.

Are these the in-walls you picked up? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=300-036
sharp_1

Postby aaronb on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Those are the ones. That is a great price. Parts express has a really good return policy as well.
aaronb

Postby rembetis on Tue May 22, 2007 6:02 pm

Did anybody ever determine the crossover point for the preamp on these things? I'm digging through right now, but can't seem to find that little piece of data...
rembetis

Re: Great deal on a 6 channel amp

Postby smata67 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Anyone buy too many of these and want to unload one?
smata67

Re: Great deal on a 6 channel amp

Postby flips on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:09 am

smata67 wrote:Anyone buy too many of these and want to unload one?

Yeah, I second that. Is there any place where out there where you can still one of these from?

Is there anything else that would the same job, maybe a little more expensive, and a little more available?

Thanks,
flips
flips

PreviousNext