XLobby, a PDA and Me!

Speak your mind

XLobby, a PDA and Me!

Postby BenRubin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm

I've finally purchased all the components I need for a simple, audio based, home theater PC. My goals are simple. I want to output accurate sound to my receiver from my PC and be able to control it through some kind of jukebox interface.

Would Xlobby be appropriate for the outputting of sound?

If so, what would be the best input device? Currently I'm considering two options, a touch screen and a wireless PDA. The downside of the touchscreen is its fixed nature. I guess the downside of the PDA would be its small screen.

Also, do you guys have any recommendations for reasonably priced PDA's that would work well with Xlobby?
BenRubin

Postby Naylia on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:27 pm

Xlobby supports both WinAMP and foobar2000 so you can use either of those as your audio player. I have all my music as mp3 right now, but am considering reripping everything in a lossless format...the question is just which one????

key for accurate sound would be to rip to a lossless format, setup asio output or kernal streaming in foobar or winamp and get a sound card that supports one or the other...i think the chaintech av710 has asio support, does not upsample and is only about $25.
Naylia

Postby BenRubin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:29 pm

Already have that card. Now interested in controlling devices more than anything.
BenRubin

Postby summerall on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:15 pm

Dell Axim's work well with xlobby......so I hear.

Check out some of the xlobby PPC interfaces, you can do this even if you don't have a PDA yet. Just open a skin you know has a PPC interface, press the "Pause/Break" key to pull up the skin editor and then use the GOTO option to get to the PPC screens. You can view/use them on a regular pc monitor, it'll give you a good idea before you decide to buy a PDA. I know baddabing's skins have PPC screens, as does Jwalodo's skins.
summerall

Postby Naylia on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:47 pm

so does mine :)....maybe I'll put some ppc screens up in my thread, not a bad idea

EDIT: actually I already have :), halfway down this page
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c&start=15
Naylia

Postby BenRubin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Will an Axim x30 or better with wifi be powerful enough to run the software effectively?
BenRubin

Postby vicom on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 am

BenRubin wrote:Will an Axim x30 or better with wifi be powerful enough to run the software effectively?

check out this thread http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4001
vicom