Xlobby Web server and ULTIMATE remote control

Speak your mind

Xlobby Web server and ULTIMATE remote control

Postby galileo2000 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:26 am

OK guys, this is it.

It's been two weeks (actually, 15 days) since I first downloaded Xlobby and started to play with it.

Well, today I control all my A/V equipment from my Sprint PPC6600 PDA/Phone through Xlobby Web server feature amd USB-UIRT plugin.

She who must obey is impressed, and it's really hard to impress her.

I can turn on / off my TV, receiver,DVD changer, change DirecTv channels, choose movie from HDD or DVD changer..

And I can do it from anywhere in the US (and Caribbean too, but it costs a little).

Xlobby is one of the most beautiful pieces of software I've ever encountered.

This is the ULTIMATE remote control. Not IR, not RF. Inet/WWW Remote ontrol.

Just want to share my joy and will be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers guys and gals.
galileo2000

Postby hjackson on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:00 am

Hehehehee. Great news galileo2000. Now you need to hook your video output to a SlingBox...

hjackson
hjackson

Postby galileo2000 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:09 am

Hi hjackson,

what is slingbox and why for the heavens sake I need it?
galileo2000

Postby galileo2000 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:08 pm

aaahh, got it. Thank you hjackson!!! It as a missing piece!! Now I have to kiss good bye another $200 just to keep up with the nerds of the world :D
galileo2000

Re: Xlobby Web server and ULTIMATE remote control

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:41 pm

galileo2000 wrote:

She was obviously not present when you typed that comment or are you finding the couch comfortable? :D
Marbles_00

Re: Xlobby Web server and ULTIMATE remote control

Postby galileo2000 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:24 am

Marbles_00 wrote:
galileo2000 wrote:

She was obviously not present when you typed that comment or are you finding the couch comfortable? :D

She was not born in this country, so she knows how to treat her man :D

Anyway, Slingbox is here. It is connected to DirecTV receiver and one of the Sony 400 DVD DVP-CX777ES changers. With Xlobby Remote Control I can watch my TV or any of my 400 DVDs ANYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE! (well, as long as Internet is available). But of course.

Now, it has only two inputs..I ight need a second Slingbox.

BTW, Xlobby seems to be incompatible with orb.com. Xlobby won't start if orb.com applet is running. They seem to use same libraries.

Orb.com is free (for now). Slingbox is $200. However, I've tried both and I am happpy with Slingbox. Nice thing about Orb that you can watch your hard drive-based photos and movies through it. SOmething should be done to make it compatible with Xlobby.
galileo2000

Postby hjackson on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:17 am

"Nice thing about Orb that you can watch your hard drive-based photos and movies through it. SOmething should be done to make it compatible with Xlobby."

If you load your HD based movies and photos in Xlobby, then hook your PC output (S-video) to the SlingBox, you can view them that way. You should get a remote control S-video switch. Teach the IR commands to your USBUIRT. Using your Xlobby webbrowser client, you can then switch which S-Video inputs are fed to your SlingBox. This will also save you from buying multiple SlingBoxes.

hjackson

PS. Sick, isn't it? :lol:
hjackson

Postby galileo2000 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:22 pm

Excellent idea hjackson!!!

Yeah, it is sick :D
galileo2000

Postby hjackson on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:55 pm

"Yeah, it is sick :D "

Also, I now don't even need to use the webrowser client to control Xlobby through the SlingBox. Instead, I use the built in remote controller in the SlingBox and use the IR commands as triggers for my events in Xlobby. The SlingBox even has a section where you can upload picture images as buttons and assign them number commands. I use that to upload some of my Xlobby images so I have more buttons to trigger Xlobby events (ie "goto Movies"). I tell you, it makes me want to puke it's so cool.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby galileo2000 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:11 am

hjackson wrote:"Yeah, it is sick :D "

Also, I now don't even need to use the webrowser client to control Xlobby through the SlingBox. Instead, I use the built in remote controller in the SlingBox and use the IR commands as triggers for my events in Xlobby. The SlingBox even has a section where you can upload picture images as buttons and assign them number commands. I use that to upload some of my Xlobby images so I have more buttons to trigger Xlobby events (ie "goto Movies"). I tell you, it makes me want to puke it's so cool.

hjackson

hjackson,

can you be little more specific as of how to do it? Maybe even post some images? Pretty please?

..I am overwhelmed by all those opportunities arising from nowhere..
galileo2000

Postby hjackson on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:55 am

Basically, you use the trigger feature on Xlobby. With this feature, you can use any handheld remote control to control Xlobby. The principle is that in the Event Setup section you associate an event with an IR "trigger" (ie. press the "up" IR command on your Sony remote and the USBUIRT reads it and activates the "up" navigational event on Xlobby). This same principal can be used with the SlingBox (ie Select the Sony remote for the SlingBox. Attach the IR from the SlingBox to the USBUIRT. Press the "up" IR button on the SlingBox, it transmits the IR code to the USBUIRT, the USBUIRT sends the "up" Sony IR command to Xlobby, the "up" navigational event on Xlobby is activated).
With this principle, using my ReplayTV remote on the SlingBox (ReplayTV codes are already programmed into Xlobby and are also set up as event triggers for Xlobby navigational events and Zoomplayer DVD control events) I can control Xlobby from within the SlingBox. I no longer need to open up my Xlobby webbrowser client. This was my original plan, but I abandoned using triggers when I couldn't get them to work. It turns out that the problem was my Scientific Atlanta remote that is notorious for being troublesome with the USBUIRT. So I switched from the Scientific Atlanta to the ReplayTV remote and everything worked flawlessly.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby galileo2000 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Thanks hjackson, I got the idea. I "might" try it in the future, for now I am very happy with my Web-based remote control, and I want be able to change DirecTV channels from inside Slingbox.

4-1 remote-controlled Philips switch box is on the way. I will connect 2 Sony DVD changers, HTPC and DirecTV to it. Another DirecTV box will be cotrolled through Aux input on Slingbox.

I've tried to do the same with my Onkyo receiver using Zone 2 feature, but it didn't work very well.

Joy !!! :D
galileo2000